Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a new member and I found this website for information. I have a gorgeous 12 week old Labrador yes biting everything in sight but my concern is she has started to sit funny. She sits down then flops her hips to the side? Anyone else had experience with their puppy? Is this just baby puppy sitting or does she have hip problem developing? i am hoping it will rectify when she gets stronger.

Thanks AngieR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, I noticed this with our girl - and it does look rather strange doesn't it? I'm not very experienced but I think it's usually fine. Hopefully some more experienced folk will be along with reassurance, meanwhile I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Like this? Some will tell you it's poor hips, but thats rubbish! Many Labradors have a lazy sit including my Mandy who lost so many marks in competitive obedience for it, (Even though she was rarely out of the awards) and my Beth who's photo is below.

Dog Carnivore Working animal Plant Collar

Mandy, below was rather "Cow Hocked" and would sit on both! She was only a baby then and I had hair. (1972)

Car Sky Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Dog

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
It’s a typical puppy sit, I’d not worry at all.

Reactions: Tulsi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like this? Some will tell you it's poor hips, but thats rubbish! Many Labradors have a lazy sit including my Mandy who lost so many marks in competitive obedience for it, (Even though she was rarely out of the awards) and my Beth who's photo is below.

View attachment 26982

Mandy, below was rather "Cow Hocked" and would sit on both! She was only a baby then and I had hair. (1972)

View attachment 26983

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
It's easy to worry too much about these dogs! We all do it. I dont think I've ever had a Labrador pup without "Seeing" something wrong. And I've never been right! They have all grown up into wonderful adults. But it's natural to worry about them, I guess it's because we care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's easy to worry too much about these dogs! We all do it. I dont think I've ever had a Labrador pup without "Seeing" something wrong. And I've never been right! They have all grown up into wonderful adults. But it's natural to worry about them, I guess it's because we care.
Yes we do care I just want to do my best for her. Thanks for answering

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I’m a new member and I found this website for information. I have a gorgeous 12 week old Labrador yes biting everything in sight but my concern is she has started to sit funny. She sits down then flops her hips to the side? Anyone else had experience with their puppy? Is this just baby puppy sitting or does she have hip problem developing? i am hoping it will rectify when she gets stronger.

Thanks AngieR
We call it the "lazy sit" and correct it with shaping and then a "sit pretty". After a few times, they will correct their sit on command. It's not anything to worry about.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
We call it the "lazy sit" and correct it with shaping and then a "sit pretty". After a few times, they will correct their sit on command. It's not anything to worry about.
In the days when I was working competitive Obedience we used to throw in a lot of quick sits in heelwork, two paces sit, two paces sit, two paces sit! Because it's easier for the pup to get up from a proper sit than a lazy sit they soon learn to sit up straight. It's a problem we dont seem to get with working gundogs because they naturally want to sit up tall to better see where the retrieve article lands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the days when I was working competitive Obedience we used to throw in a lot of quick sits in heelwork, two paces sit, two paces sit, two paces sit! Because it's easier for the pup to get up from a proper sit than a lazy sit they soon learn to sit up straight. It's a problem we dont seem to get with working gundogs because they naturally want to sit up tall to better see where the retrieve article lands.
Thanks I’m going to try that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts