Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our Chocolate Labrador a few months ago and are now thinking about a new puppy as we all miss having a Labrador in the family. I’ve had a recent situation where I enquired about a Chocolate puppy and asked the information about health testing, whether show or FT pedigree. I also asked about the price as the advert wasn’t showing any information. The breeder provided the information asked for except the price despite me asking a couple of times. Did I overstep the mark somehow by asking the price? We don’t have an unlimited budget for a puppy but know the prices have increased over The last few months. It just seemed a bizarre situation.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Prices are shocking right now, a lot of breeders are cashing in on the shortage of pups during the lockdown, so no, you haven't overstepped the mark, more likely they are embarrassed actually telling you what they're asking for pups. Just to put this in some sort of perspective, and I don't have any pups or any planned, but in 2019 I sold pups for £850, which was about right for where I am in the UK, with full health tests etc but now, you're looking at the thick end of £3k or more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prices are shocking right now, a lot of breeders are cashing in on the shortage of pups during the lockdown, so no, you haven't overstepped the mark, more likely they are embarrassed actually telling you what they're asking for pups. Just to put this in some sort of perspective, and I don't have any pups or any planned, but in 2019 I sold pups for £850, which was about right for where I am in the UK, with full health tests etc but now, you're looking at the thick end of £3k or more.
Thank you as I was wondering if I’d committed a deadly sin for asking. Many of the KC litter adverts don’t mention price at all but I thought I would check out this particular puppy as the limited information on the website seemed promising. The prices are truly skyhigh at the moment. Oh well, we’ll keep looking for now

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If you need to ask the price, then you can’t afford it. 😉😉 only kidding. I know breeders who wouldn’t even consider letting you have a puppy if you asked the price. In fact it’d probably be cheaper to import a dog from a top European breeder than to buy in the UK.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need to ask the price, then you can’t afford it. 😉😉 only kidding. I know breeders who wouldn’t even consider letting you have a puppy if you asked the price. In fact it’d probably be cheaper to import a dog from a top European breeder than to buy in the UK.
I have to confess that thought had crossed my mind which is why I asked the question as I thought I’d committed some sort of serious doggy buying faux pas!

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I think it depends on how it's asked, if you get an email saying 'how much are your puppies and have you got a dog/bitch of yellow/black/chocolate available, that's pretty off putting. But if you get a nice email or some sort of communication introducing yourself, what sort of home you can offer, enquiring about why you've used a particular dog, what health tests are in place etc, and also asked the price so the person can budget for the purchase price, that's surely not committing some sort of faux pas? Personally, I've always put the price on any advert, I'm not sure why some breeders feel the need to put things like POA, just state the price for goodness sakes, it's either fair or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts