Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallie's poo has always been horrid!

Sometimes she has a nice dark firm poo... but the majority of the time it is light, squidgy and it stinks (i have a strong stomach but it really does pong!)

She was on Arden Grange from the breeder until i changed it over a 2 week period to Waggs Puppy... she loves her food, i thought it may be the treats she was getting, but 3 days without treats didnt make any difference to the poo... she is happy in herself, usually goes 3-4 times a day, none during the night.

I've been advised to keep her on the current food for another couple of weeks and see if it improves, should i be looking to change the food to something else other than the Waggs or Arden Grange?

I just wondered if a puppy may have horrible poo for a little while?! Or what the poo should be like! I always thought it should be darker and firm enough to not squish when you have to pick it up!!

:(

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi Cheryl, Ruby is on wagg puppy & i can honestly say her poos are firm & hardly smell at all.

I changed her from JWB bout 3 weeks ago (credit Crunch ) & its made no difference to her poo. Maybe it doesnt agree with Hallie.

Bear had runny horrid poo till I put him on JWB, hes now on wagg adult & hes still fine too.

They have no wind either 8O

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Can I ask why you changed from Arden Grange to Waggs in the first place? Arden Grange is an exceptionally high quality food, so why change to the lower quality Waggs?

Puppy poo does tend to be a little bit inconsistent - some days nice and firm, some times a bit runny. There are lots of things going on for a puppy in the first few months of its life, so I wouldn't be too concerned if she isn't having accidents.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed mainly due to the credit crunch, and chose Waggs because i know of a few dogs that are happy on Waggs, more than Pedigree, Bakers etc.

If however, my financial situation gets any better (baring in mind i dont even eat at home myself, so not like i shop in M&S for me and feed Hallie on cheaper food!) then i will change her back to Arden Grange :D

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
So why not persevere with the Waggs for a while then? How old is Hallie? The thing is, the more you swop and change the food about, the more likely a problem is to occur...

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Puppy Poo is a very difficult topic. We all like to imagine that our pups are going to have firm motions at lovely regular times (not three in an hour then ten hours to the next for example!) and so on.

It rarely happens that way. Anyone with a puppy that, from coming home, to getting past both vaccinations and remains firm is a very very lucky person. Most go loose. the majority will actually get extremely runny. A huge amount will have at least one bout of upset stomach and have you worrying about changing food, adding stuff, starving out, being sick etc etc.

I would stab at around half of owners at least change from their breeders food in the first month because the runs 'come' and they consider it has to be the food as the puppy is well enough in itself.

Personally, I have followed this routine at this time (as yes yes it even happens to breeders too....) ;-) We clean up poo with a straw too you know with a new baby ;-)

-----------

I never starve a baby puppy. This is on seriously good vet advice. Up until 4 - 5 months of age they are never starved. They cannot afford it and it does no good anyway, the idea it clears the stomach is not true, the dog, if put on starvation, just stores more and harbours the bug.

I feed as normal for a day to see if they will get through it on their own. If they have eaten some rubbish in the garden or drank from a puddle and taken a germ on board, 36 hours will see them back to good poos.

If not I buy in Chappie tinned chicken and rice. The next three meals at normal times are a very small amount of this and this alone. IF at any point they refuse it they go to the vet.

At the same time they have a dose of Prokolin just before each meal - which is a paste in a tube you can buy from the vets without perscription.

Regardless of the state of the poo at this point the next day I add a handful of bland biscuit terrier meal or biscuit mixer to it for the days meals.

The next day I soak a little puppy complete and swap the bland biscuit meal for soaked puppy with the chappie tinned.

Over the next two days I up the portion and down the chappie and take them back to normal food. At this point they are usually solid.

IF it is the food or a bug that the vet needs looking into within 2 days they will get the squirts back (or soft sludgy poos that you can't pick up with a bag).

If it is not you should be smooth sailing for at least a couple of weeks.

If the squirts coincide with worming for a day or more thats normal. Ditto the vaccination.
Di

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
I know what you are saying Di, but the OP isn't saying that the pup has the squits, she is saying that the poo is inconsistent... to me thats just puppy poo! :wink:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Consistant sludge for poos usually is one of two things - a gluten intolerance, which can be helped by a handover period as per the above method onto a new gluten free complete food... OR portions being too large.

You can check for the portions being too large by hardening your heart for two days only - and halving the portion for every meal. If the dog continues when it poos to sludge even on a halved amount of food a day, it is not suiting the food OR it has a bug requiring attention. If halving the food fixes it over the two days, slowly add just 5gms per feed extra over the next 4 - 5 days until it goes sludgy again, then reduce a little. Find the 'happy point'.

The 'Happy' point may not be what the bag says, it may not be what your vet or breeder 'recommends' and may not be what your previous dog ate. It alsmot certainly won't be what everyone on heres pups of the same age eat... Its finding what YOUR individual pup can manage.

Di

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I will half the amount, and see if it gets any better.

She does often have one reasonably firm poo, its just the others are generally quite light in colour and squidgy!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Just halve her for 2 days (its not easy because they are noticeably hungry whilst 'seeing')... if its the same then it is the food not suiting her chances are.

Some hungry greedy pups spend a lot of the time loose because they do hoover everything and anything up from the floor, garden, streets etc etc and spend most of their time with unsettled digestion. That is something almost noone can do anything about.

But over the two days if she comes solid and neat, you know the food suits its just the portion that does not. Take it back UP again VERY slowly over 2 - 3 days after the halving process or you will undo the good work.

Di

·
Registered
10 Posts
Puppy poo and feed

We had a similar case with Libby. She was on Chudleys as recommended by the breeder. For a few weeks we associated the sloppy poo with being a pup, eating rubbish in the garden, anxiety, worming etc.

Unfortunately - taking her for a walk was starting to get a worry (much harder to pick up a loose poo). As she got a bit bigger we felt that perhaps it was the food so we made a change just to see. We moved to Wainwrights (Pets at Home Premium brand which is hypo allergenic) and her poo improved instantly. Since doing that (last 3 weeks - she has only had two instances of looser poo - and that coincided with being fed home made liver cake that has flour in it - so prob a wheat intolerance.

The only downside with the Wainwrights is she has a little more wind than before. We are going to try Skinners (very reasonably priced) and Arden Grange if necessary. If no different - will stick with the Wainwrights.

You said you went to Wagg because it was cheaper - however you do need to feed more per their instructions per day when they are older. So better to compare price per day.

Important thing to remember is that some food will be fine for some dogs and not for others - it just depends on whether there are any intolerances. Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts