Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI LAB LOVERS,
OUR NEW PUPPY KEEPS PASSING A SMALL AMOUNT OF BLOOD WITH EACH STOOL (WHICH SEEM VERY SLOPPY), THE VET SAID WE WERE OVER FEEDING SO WE CUT THIS DOWN BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE,SHES BEEN EATING BETA (CHICK AND RICE).
SHE SEEMS REALLT HEALTHY OTHERWISE AND FULL OF LIFE.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY COMMENT PLEASE LET US KNOW SINCE THIS IS OUR FIRST DOG .
REGARDS

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, overfeeding can cause sloppy stools and a little blood is not uncommon if the lining of the colon becomes inflamed. I’m assuming that he is ok in himself and the vet knows about the blood in the stools and has not found anything else. Has he given you any advice on feeding him? (other than you’re overfeeding him) and specifically how to feed him to clear up sloppy stools. Did he give him an anti inflammatory / anti biotic shot? Personally, I would forget the compete food and feed him plain rice for a day, next day you can add some cooked chicken. You should see an improvement, provided there’s no other problem, and you can start to re introduce his complete feed. Some vets will advise starving for a day before giving the rice. If there are any other concerns or there is no improvement I would go back to your vet.
let us know how he is.
HTH

·
Registered
286 Posts
How old is the puppy? "Our new puppy" tells us nothing. My new puppy was three years old. Big difference when discussing a health issue.
How long has the problem been observed?
How much and how often are you feeding the puppy?
What all did the vet tell you? Anyother observations?
OBTW: All caps is 'Net eese for yelling. All caps is somewhat difficult to read and would be more polite to use lower case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puppy is 8.5 weeks old, we've only had her a week, when we spoke to the vet all he said it was probably overfeed as the blood was only at the end of the stool. Didn't say how much to give she was having half a mug 3 times a day so have reduced it down to half a small cup 3 times a day. Have seen an improvement today, stools aren't so sloppy and only a spot of blood at the end. Will give her rice anyway tomorrow then if still not gone will take her back to the vets. There doesn't appear to be any other problems, she's very playful and alert when awake!
Thanks very much for your help and comments.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
8.5 weeks – oh just a baby. Actually, as she’s so young I’d forget the rice and keep her on what she’s used to. Did the breeder give you any feeding instructions and are you continuing the same food? At 8.5 weeks I’d have her on 4 meals a day (same amount but split into 4) but if her breeder had her on three then continue. You’ve only just got her, and any change to a young pup’s diet can cause upset, (which is why I'd always recommend sticking with the food / routine the breeder has used at least for a few weeks) - even a change in drinking water from her old home can cause upset, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Just keep an eye on her and if, as you say, it doesn’t improve take her back to the vet.
HTH

·
Registered
286 Posts
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/helpful-hints.html

There are feeding suggestions near the end.

Didn't say how much to give she was having half a mug 3 times a day so have reduced it down to half a small cup 3 times a day
Be sure to use a measuring cup when doling out the dog food. If the right amount of food fits in a mug or china -fine and dandy, but please measure out the food.

HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Lab Dad, I hadn't measured the food out when we first got her as the breeder said to give her 1/2 a mug 3 times a day, but since the problem started I have hence the smaller cup. She's much better now. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank god for this forum, my puppy has just started with this problem, and i was worried but after reading your replies im going to try what you suggest and if this doesnt work i will then take her to the vets. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
We had this problem when Jet was only a few moths old; the vet said it was something she ate and presribed starving her for a day and then feeding her very small amounts, along with pills to make her stools more solid. Labs are prone to eating very dodgy things that upset their insides, so dont be surprised if it happens again. I swear by chicken and rice- not the packaged stuff you can buy, but the real thing. If you boil the rice in the chicken stock, they like it much more!
Hope she feels better soon!
:p
ps: it could also be 'stress colitis' if the puppy is really young

1 - 11 of 11 Posts