Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murdoch is an 11 week old black lab puppy. We have had him for three weeks now. He is adorable and learns really fast. His house training is almost there, with just the occasional accident but we are having some problems with him sleeping at night.
He goes happily into his crate at about 11pm each night and after a week or so he was either sleeping through until 6-7am or sometimes still needing a single 'garden break' midway.
Over the 10 past days or so he has been waking up several times each night, often at about 2am, 4am, 5:30 and then finally at about 6-7am.
He yips a lot and we take him out to do his business, being careful not to play with him. By the time you have taken him out and settled yourself after, we end up only getting 3-4 hours sleep ourselves!
Any advice would be very gratefully received.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Has anything else changed? His routine? His food? Position of crate etc

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
It's probably for attention - he has learned that yipping gets you there. When Tatze was that age I set my alarm for 3am and 5am for 'wee time' and no amount of crying/yipping/howling/barking brought me to her at other times.

At 12 weeks I cut out the 3am wee break, just got up at 5am. Then back to snooze 'till 7am (getting up time). After that we just had the 5am call and put it forwards by ten minutes every couple of days 'till her up-time matched our up-time.

When I get downstairs I potter about and do the washing etc before I let her out - so she still comes out on my terms, not hers.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_Sam_ said:
Has anything else changed? His routine? His food? Position of crate etc
Thanks for the reply. His crate is in the same place as usual and his food is the same - just going up in quantity.
One possible change is that as his toilet training gets more reliable we are gradually letting him spend more time in the lounge (carpeted) with us, whereas before we were sitting with him more in the room where his crate is (tiled floor). He is also sleeping more earlier in the evening, unless we constantly stimulate him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boogs said:
It's probably for attention - he has learned that yipping gets you there. When Tatze was that age I set my alarm for 3am and 5am for 'wee time' and no amount of crying/yipping/howling/barking brought me to her at other times.

At 12 weeks I cut out the 3am wee break, just got up at 5am. Then back to snooze 'till 7am (getting up time). After that we just had the 5am call and put it forwards by ten minutes every couple of days 'till her up-time matched our up-time.

When I get downstairs I potter about and do the washing etc before I let her out - so she still comes out on my terms, not hers.

Thanks for that suggestion. We will give it a try. Sometimes when he yips he is desperate for a wee, whilst at others he just does a token one and just wants to sniff around. I'm worried about keeping him in the crate if he might really need to go. Do you reckon 11 pm to 3 am is a reasonable starting point at 11 weeks? Sometimes he sleeps past 3 am anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
YorksRick said:
Boogs said:

Thanks for that suggestion. We will give it a try. Sometimes when he yips he is desperate for a wee, whilst at others he just does a token one and just wants to sniff around. I'm worried about keeping him in the crate if he might really need to go. Do you reckon 11 pm to 3 am is a reasonable starting point at 11 weeks? Sometimes he sleeps past 3 am anyway.
Yes I do - and the occasional little accident in the crate is far better than a pup learning that woofing brings you running :)

We had just one little accident and have never had another.

·
Administrator
20,503 Posts
All pups are different, but once a pup starts to learn I gradually stretch it a little later each "Successful" period until I'm not going down at all. As an illustration how some pups can manage, my Amy arrived here at 7 weeks old and was clean all night before 8 weeks old, so it's amazing how long some pups can last. (I've had pups the other way who I've despaired about ever getting clean! but they all manage it eventually.)

Were I you I'd go down to him at around 3AM and 6am regardless if he cries or not. If all is ok I'd then try 4am and 8am. When thats fine then it's 6am then not at all. Thing is, you are telling him not him you, teaching him that shouting will not result in you magically appearing. With this in mind I always try to go down when pup is quiet, not when he's shouting. If he's shouting then it's "Head under pillow" time. :wink: Got to say, I have understanding neighbours who have known my dogs for very many years and who know the disruption is not forever.

Regards, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts