Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took Lola out in garden when she chased and caught a small frog/toad in her mouth. I ran after her but couldn't get to her in time and when I did she had swallowed it. Then a small amount of foam came out of her mouth. She seems fine and is playing around on the floor but I'm a bit freaked out and don't know what to do - does she need to see the vet or will I just wait and see how she is? I don't know anything about frogs or toads - I don't even know which it was as it is dark in the garden now.

Advice please.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I would phone the emergency vet just for some advice, I am not sure if frogs/toads are posinous to dogs, but i would phone just to make sure :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
A frog 8O
Thats a new one :lol:
Give the ver a quick ring as im not sure if frogs / toads can do any harm to dogs or not.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I'm not sure if problem or not - I worked hard to keep Luna away from those in our garden last year because I wasn't sure. I think some can be poisonous but whether they all live overseas I don't know.

I think I'd keep a very close eye on her behaviour and if I couldn't stop worrying I'd call the emergency vet for either help or reassurance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just spoken to the out-of-hours vet and he has said just to give her plenty of water and to keep an eye on her. The foam is apparently just saliva and a reaction to the nasty taste.

Hopefully she'll be fine. Will make me more cautious about the garden though!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Phew!

I'm glad to hear there isn't a major emergency! I hope that Lola digests the frog/toad fully otherwise you could get a shock in the morning toilet!

Seriously - I hope she remains fine.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
That is good to know and I hope that she has no ill effects from the eating the frog :) They sure know how to worry us though dont they :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I would keep an eye out for the frog/toad possibly returning the way it went down!, it could make her sick :?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Honey munched a frog once - seemed to find it rather a treat!!

Mibbe your wee Lola just felt a little francais :D

Hope all is well tomorrow. She might be a little hoarse though

(frog in her throat - get it? :roll: ) They get worse!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it was a Toad the poison will infact be nothing more than I mild irritant used by the toad to stop bigger animals eating them. I've watched foxes eat toads, they froth at the mouths and then vomit the nasty toad back up. It is just one of those things, nothing to worry about. :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
So pleased to hear Lola is none the worse for her culinary experimentation :lol:

Last night Paddy came in with a lucky rabbit's paw in his mouth - actually it wasn't so lucky for the rabbit was it :roll: :D

Patrick

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Glad she's ok! Another worry past! NEXT....!!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad she's okay, what a little monkey! When Stan was a puppy he found a dead squirrel in the park, which he then paraded around with, chased by all the local dogs, none of which could catch him. He was delighted with his prize, wouldn't come back to me for love nor money (or a biscuit) and managed to eat half its innards (yuck) before I collared him. All the while the other dog owners are freaking out, trying in vain to call their dogs back and saying things like "what if it has been poisoned". I was a nervous wreck by the time I got home and spent a sleepless night listening out for sounds of Stan being poisoned, although he seemed to suffer no ill effects. It's funny now but not at the time- they know how to scare the hell out of you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts