Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my black lab pup has a grey beard and has done since I have had him. I’ve been reading that this is linked to aging, so should I be worried? I would assume this shouldn’t be present in a pup? He is 10 weeks now. The first pic I saw him in was when he was 4 weeks and it was there then too. I thought it was an endearing characteristic but now I am worried that it means there is something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
so should I be worried?
Not at all! I've had Labradors go grey early, and other who have gone grey late, and it means nothing. Taking humans as an example, my mother often said that she was going grey well before she was 21, and she lived to almost 102!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not at all! I've had Labradors go grey early, and other who have gone grey late, and it means nothing. Taking humans as an example, my mother often said that she was going grey well before she was 21, and she lived to almost 102!! :)
Thanks! I had heard of them going grey after just a year but thought it was a little unusual for a young puppy!

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
Are you sure it's grey, and not the occasional yellow hair? I always have yellows, and both my first, Mandy, and my last, Chloe, have some black hairs. Then you occasionally get small white areas on Labradors, so could it be either of those?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I've had pups before that appear to have a little bit of white whiskering going on on their chin, it could just be a mismark, or just genetic. My old girl that I lost recently had hardly any grey at all, just a few on her chin, same as her half sister who I still have. Yet some dogs that I see much younger have a lot more grey on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks both. As long as it’s nothing for me to worry about then I’m happy! It’s a very cute marking whatever the reason for it 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts