1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ramsay- Chocolate Labrador
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
hope you are all well!
our 9 week old chocolate lab puppy Ramsay loves his food so much I swear he’d eat constantly if we let him. This morning however he gobbled his food down gave himself hiccups and then proceeded to be sick shortly after he wasn’t sick a lot, his poops have been normal, he just kept retching after the initial sick.We feed him on raw as that is what the breeders were feeding them on and he’s been fine with it.
do you think it’s just because he gobbled his food down like a little pig that he was sick? He seems fine in himself now, he’s been playing with his toys and now napping as per. I was thinking of hand feeding him his lunch later on so it’s more controlled. I have purchased a slow feeder that’s coming this afternoon so hopefully that will help too
I’m just constantly worried about him as I’m sure we all are with our fur babies so I just wanted some reassurance really that it’s normal for that to happen after gobbling like a piggie
X

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me, gobble, gag, be sick, re eat. We call in pre heating in our house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
😂 I’m glad this is normal behaviour it really worried me this morning but he seems to be back to his normal self. Labs are such little piggies aren’t they

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi MollieandRamsey,

we’ve also got a 9week old yellow Lab named Leo he’s gobbles his food down at a pace too and hiccups afterwards aswell, he hasn’t been sick yet and I bought him a anti gulp bowl to slow his speed of food down it helps but it’s too deep he can’t always get to all the food so I think it’s all normal behaviour when he was with his siblings before they were all probably fighting to get their foods and the feed from their mother and he’s still a baby

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi MollieandRamsey,

we’ve also got a 9week old yellow Lab named Leo he’s gobbles his food down at a pace too and hiccups afterwards aswell, he hasn’t been sick yet and I bought him a anti gulp bowl to slow his speed of food down it helps but it’s too deep he can’t always get to all the food so I think it’s all normal behaviour when he was with his siblings before they were all probably fighting to get their foods and the feed from their mother and he’s still a baby
I’m glad it’s not just Ramsay. It’s definitely a lab thing isn’t it. I’ve brought him a puppy slow feeder so we shall see how that goes I’ll let you know! I’m going to hand feed him at lunch so I’m in control.
That’s so true what you said about fighting their siblings to get to the food first that makes total sense. Especially since they are both only 9 weeks still!
how are you getting on otherwise? X

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
When you think about it, with the litter mates around a baby always has a certain amount of competition, or at fear of competition for food. So the incentive is to eat as fast as possible. As time goes by, with no competition for the food, he will slow down a little with his eating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m glad it’s not just Ramsay. It’s definitely a lab thing isn’t it. I’ve brought him a puppy slow feeder so we shall see how that goes I’ll let you know! I’m going to hand feed him at lunch so I’m in control.
That’s so true what you said about fighting their siblings to get to the food first that makes total sense. Especially since they are both only 9 weeks still!
how are you getting on otherwise? X
He’s super active he’s gotten use to going outside to do his number 2 but for a wee it’s hit and miss he’ll sometimes do it on his training pads or he’ll go by the back door and does it outside, at night he will sleep from 10-5 or 6am so it’s not too bad, the only thing atm is the teething he nibbles at anything so we’ve bought him loads of toys, freeze some of them and trying to coach him to be gentle when we put our hand in his mouth and when he bites too hard too, I have read they will nibble for a while but learning each day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts