Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've been reading this book called Labradors for dummies (quite appropriate! lol) and it say's in it that you shouldn't feed your labrador puppy food but adult food. Yet my boyfriend always fed his puppy, puppy food.
Any advice? I want to really know what I'm doing before I get my Labrador!
Thanks
Jess
xxx

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Jess

Not sure about that one? Hopefully someone on here will be able to clarify this for you.

Personally, we feed our puppy (Corbie, who's nearly 4 months) a dry complete food which is 'puppy/junior'.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi - I am also not sure about the facts but if you read the info on this website about hip dysplasia it says that one of the causes can be a diet too high in calcium. When I read that (although my puppy has no signs of it) I took her off pedigree puppy food because it says on the bag that is has extra calcium! I now feed her bakers junior but mixed with chappie because she won't eat dry food on its own.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Jess

I have not read that anywhere else - does it say exactly why you should?

We feed Smudge on Bakers Complete Puppy/Junior though once we bought the adult variety by mistake and it looked pretty much the same except that the morsels were massive in comparison! Don't think he would have digested them very well in his much younger days.

Sorry to have not been more help. Please keep us updated on your new puppy!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think it depends on the food - there are plenty of complete 'junior' foods that are suitable for lab puppies. Our guide dog puppy has Royal Canin Maxi Junior, which is for large breed puppies - this is what the GDBA told us to feed her so they must know it's OK!

This is personal choice but I would now always steer clear of foods with the doggy equivalent of e-numbers/colourings etc in. Many popular brand dog foods have loads of colourings and sugar in, just like human foods. My previous dog was fed on Bakers Complete at one stage and was perfectly healthy but it sent her totally hyper and she pooed for Britain (sorry!). She calmed down almost right away when we changed it. However, different dogs react differently to various foods, and you will find plenty of very healthy and happy dogs fed on Pedigree for example, which to my mind is like a diet of burgers, chips and sweets!

My own dog Ruthie is now fed on Autarky: http://www.autarky-foods.com/dog/dogintro.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts