Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Puppy food advice please!

Hi everyone,
I am about to get my first puppy (a black lab bitch) she is 5 weeks old now and I will get her just after she has turned 8 weeks.
I am just trying to get everything ready for her arrival.
With regards to feeding her what is the best food to give her?
She is currently being fed 4 times a day on skinners dry puppy food mixed with milk.
At what age should I start reducing number of feeds/day and moving onto to adult food?

I have heard people talking about slow feed bowls... Would anyone recommend these?

Any other advice for a new puppy would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hello and welcome and congratulations

This board is a mine of information and you'll find loads of really useful sticky threads in the puppy section
There's a recent thread here about puppy food
The most important thing is to find out what the breeder is feeding and stick with that and phase in any change gradually. Our Judy was on some pretty crap stuff (long story) and we quickly went 2/3rds crap to 1/3rd decent Beta puppy complete then half and half and then fully decent stuff

Slow feeder bowls have been discussed and I recall good things said but I couldn't personally comment as we don't use (even though Jude sets records with clearing her bowl!!!)

Good luck with your pup and keep up the research!!

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I would stick with Skinners until she has been with you for a few weeks before you think about changing food. It's not a bad food and plenty on here feed it. You won't need to give her milk though.

Chloe

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Breeder of your puppy should provide you with all the info you require on food, when to change to 3 meals a day (generally at 12 weeks) etc as well as what worming regime she has followed...........

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ahhhh.... you've developed your post -- wise to be a bit more specific

I echo Ruby

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
:DI've just had a new puppy :) and I am giving her food in a large bowl that belonged to a previous lab (Sophie) so my new pup, Juice, has to slow down and find it :D she is not doing the "gobbly, gobbly and sicky"

As to food, I trusted my breeder :D and we are keeping Juice on what she was eating ;)

AND!!!! Hi and Welcome Tom and ???? xxx

Loads of info on this site in the "puppy stuff" section - - - when you have a minute, or two ;) , sit, with a "cuppa" and "read and digest" :cool:

Chel and Juice xx

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Ditto the others Skinners is a good food so if she's doing well on it no need to change actually it better if you don't! Slow bowls are good mine have a few different sorts at the moment the slo-bowl mazes are our favourite. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts