Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I’d like some info. from you lovely folks please.
We lost our old yellow boy at 13 just before first lockdown. We have now started looking for a puppy. We have been asked on several enquiries to breeders to pay a deposit BEFORE seeing the puppies in their home with their mum, mates and breeder. This did not happen 13 years ago. So my question is : is this the new ‘norm’ and are we out of touch ? These are litters being advertised on Champdogs site and I have done some sleuthing on the KC website and internet and am pretty sure these are legit breeders.
Am I being the odd one out in wanting to see the puppies and choose one( or be chosen by him!) before I pay a deposit ?
Thanking you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
All breeders vary and there are reasons for this, but I wouldn't expect to pay a deposit before seeing mum and pups definitely.

With all that has happened with Covid-19 some breeders may have started charging a deposit sooner rather than later. Personally, I think a deposit is a bad idea in any case, as it forms a sort of contract, where as I like to get to know who might want a puppy (and no I don't have any or any planned) and make up my mind whether they are having a puppy or not.

Champdogs is not all that it is made out to be I'm afraid, they have recently started with their premium service ie you pay more to see adverts before others, if that's not profiteering I don't know what is. And they also allow adverts to appear as if there are health tests in place, when they are statistics generated from previous health tests, not actual health tests. There is no one-stop-shop for reputable breeders, I'm afraid it's down to how you feel about how a breeder operates, what you might think is ok, I might think isn't, we all have different opinions on the morals surrounding breeding dogs.

As for you choosing a puppy, I very nearly kicked someone off my last waiting list as they pretty much tried to bully me into letting them choose, thought they were at the top of the list and I calmly told them actually, they were second off the bottom, and in any case, I try to ensure the right character and fit for them, so a boisterous full on character doesn't go to someone who wants a laid back puppy, that will do well with young kids, and so on. You won't get a huge amount of variety within the same litter, as they are obviously all related, but I know that some of the owners would have struggled with the bitch I kept back, partly why I kept her as she is that sort of full on personality that I love.

Just remember, when you are buying a puppy, you are a customer, so if everything isn't right then you are perfectly within your rights to say I'm not happy with that, and shop elsewhere. A good breeder will quiz you, but they will not at all be put off by a potentially good home quizzing them just as thoroughly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All breeders vary and there are reasons for this, but I wouldn't expect to pay a deposit before seeing mum and pups definitely.

With all that has happened with Covid-19 some breeders may have started charging a deposit sooner rather than later. Personally, I think a deposit is a bad idea in any case, as it forms a sort of contract, where as I like to get to know who might want a puppy (and no I don't have any or any planned) and make up my mind whether they are having a puppy or not.

Champdogs is not all that it is made out to be I'm afraid, they have recently started with their premium service ie you pay more to see adverts before others, if that's not profiteering I don't know what is. And they also allow adverts to appear as if there are health tests in place, when they are statistics generated from previous health tests, not actual health tests. There is no one-stop-shop for reputable breeders, I'm afraid it's down to how you feel about how a breeder operates, what you might think is ok, I might think isn't, we all have different opinions on the morals surrounding breeding dogs.

As for you choosing a puppy, I very nearly kicked someone off my last waiting list as they pretty much tried to bully me into letting them choose, thought they were at the top of the list and I calmly told them actually, they were second off the bottom, and in any case, I try to ensure the right character and fit for them, so a boisterous full on character doesn't go to someone who wants a laid back puppy, that will do well with young kids, and so on. You won't get a huge amount of variety within the same litter, as they are obviously all related, but I know that some of the owners would have struggled with the bitch I kept back, partly why I kept her as she is that sort of full on personality that I love.

Just remember, when you are buying a puppy, you are a customer, so if everything isn't right then you are perfectly within your rights to say I'm not happy with that, and shop elsewhere. A good breeder will quiz you, but they will not at all be put off by a potentially good home quizzing them just as thoroughly.

Thank you you answered my question in your first sentence - it does not sit right with me to pay a deposit for a pup from a litter I have not seen. As for choosing a puppy I expect a breeder to ask me questions as I indeed have many questions for them -it does not sit rightnwith me either for a breeder to randomly allocate me( and my family) a puppy if they have not met me. This is all so different to 13 years ago ! Thank you for taking time to reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts