Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone,

My name is Janitta and we brought home Kenny, our chocolate labrador puppy 15 days ago, he's now 10 weeks and 1 day old.

I'm really struggling with him crying at night, he has a crate, but I don't shut the door, I leave the radio on low for him and the lights off, he has a variety of toys available. I'm using puppy pads at night and he is great at using them when he needs to go to the toilet.

The problem seems to be after he's been to the toilet, he cries and whines so much I've been coming down to tidy up, I have a 5 year old and I don't want him to be disrupted which is the main reason why I started coming down to find out why he was crying. Once I've tidied up the mess I tell Kenny it's bedtime and he is quiet, for a few hours.

Last night I went down to him at 11pm, 1:30am, 3:30am and 4:45am before getting up at 6am. Today I've decided it has to stop and my plan is to ignore him tonight, my other half is working nights this week so I will be allowing my son to sleep in my room with me, Kenny sleeps in the kitchen, which is at the back of the house, below my sons room so I'm hoping this will help prevent my son waking.

Is this a good idea, I'm running on empty at the moment and it's getting me down, I've never really experienced a puppy that cries at night before, all my previous dogs, including a black lab were fine after the first few nights.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can try, am I doing the right thing leaving him to cry without going to him?

Appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Janitta

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has he been in the kitchen himself since Day 1 ? - Does he stop crying when you come down ?

If so - Why not try sleeping down stairs with him or somewhere else where he can see you - and when he crys just ignore him. Then progressively move him or you apart as the nights go by. I'm not sure if it'll work or if it's best / just sharing what worked in the end for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been in the kitchen since day 1, he's fine when we leave him, he used to cry when we left the room but this has stopped, now it's just random times during the night.

I've probably done the wrong thing by coming downstairs when he cries but it's such a heartbreaking sound, plus I'm concerned he's disturbing the neighbours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ickleme79 said:
I've probably done the wrong thing by coming downstairs when he cries .....
You've hit the nail on the head there.
If dogs whine for attention and get it, then they'll whine whenever they want it.
I would. Wouldn't you ? :wink: :)

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I am sure you can turn it round.

With Tatze I put my alarm on for 3am and 5am to take her out to the toilet, 'till she was 10 weeks old, then just 5am. After that I added 5mins or so a day 'till we got to normal morning time, making sure I didn't go in if she was crying.

Now she stays in her crate and doesn't stir 'till 8:30 even when I'm up!

You WILL get there! :D

?

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can try, am I doing the right thing leaving him to cry without going to him?
I'd shut him in the crate, with only bedding in there (no pads or newspaper) to encourage him to hold it. I'd then set my alarm for about 4 hours after I'd gone to bed and take him out for a toilet trip to the garden then. Then back in the closed crate until I wanted to get up. I wouldn't get up to anymore cries, as he is happily learning Owner Recall like that :wink: .

Once they have got the hang of holding it in their crate, I usually find Lab pups can go about 6 hours without toileting overnight, from around 10 weeks old. But as he's had free rein to toilet when he likes, he needs a bit of practise before going that long. Once he's got the hang of going 6 hours, you can then start to stretch the time out a bit, if you need more sleep than that. 8)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Many things work many don't.........my suggestions :

Overnight - Try crate to landing so pup knows where you are with your door ajar maybe & so not fearing abandonment.

Set alarm initially twice in night for toilet outside, maybe stay next to crate a short while to settle after toilet time if needed. (I once awoke cold & numb on landing floor). Short praise for toileting to command - otherwise make it a non event or pup wont settle again. Ideal is a sleepy pup overnight.

Ensure pup safe up and downstairs either carry crate up and down stairs, morning and evening or source a second one.

Pads IMO counter productive to toilet training if relied on overnight.

I tried the old school leave the dog and ignore it routine and over 20 years ago......kept wake all night scratching noises, howling, barking, faeces everywhere and urine soaked paper (back in the days before pads and crates widely used). No doubt then that pup and us were genuinely distressed and tired at whole experience.....Never ever again !!

I know it is difficult when you have young child considerations and partner working shifts.....We work shifts and tried to be quite & ignore Harley as Pup when coming/going to work.

Do not try to do this all on your own. If partner willing try catch up sleep in bed late afternoon & when partner awake.....Power nap in day/evening if safely able.

Needless to say that in initial weeks you will need to compromise elsewhere or accept exhaustion and consequences.

It gets better btw

·
Registered
51 Posts
what worked for me is ignoring the pup at night. took two or three days before he stopped crying at night. also dont make a fuss over him when going to and from work or leaving and entering house. just ignore dog until hes settled. then ul find it much easier when it comes to night time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts