Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone,

Please could I have some advise,

I have a choccy lab who is still in his crate, the crate is huge and we only use it when we are out or it's bed time. I was hoping someone could give me some advise on when to stop using it. We have tried many times but have returned home after and hour to the Kitchen wrecked, once he even put a whole in the plaster back to the brick.

I have heard people who have kept their dogs in until well over one year old but don't know whether this is fair. Also, how do you go about taking it away, do you do it gradually of at once??

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hello!

How old is your pup?

When we 1st got our Lab, Charlie he used to sleep in his crate at night (by our bedside!) and he also went in it if we went out during the day (maximum of an hour at a time) - once he started to get too big for the crate was the time we moved him out of it, to do this when we went up to bed at night instead of putting him in the crate and shutting the door we left the door open and allowed him to come and go in/out of it - once he stopped going in there at all we removed it completely. I guess he was about 5 months when he had no crate....

Hope that helps?

Sarah

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Sarah,

He is coming up to 11 months old, the crate is the biggest you can buy and he's got loads of room. it worries me though thinking he may be too old for it or not enjoying it. He does seem to love it however. He always pops himself off to his crate for a nap, it's like his little den.

G

·
Hiya,

I think it really depends on your puppy and when you feel he/she is ready and can be trusted without.

As Sarah said, it needs to be a gradual thing though, so you gradually give him more trust and can judge at each stage when to move onto the next.

I think with Oscar, he slept in his 'den' at night and if we popped out every time until he was about 5 months.

Then gradually at night, we would shut the door, but not lock it, so he could come out of it if he wanted. Then we'd leave the door open at night. And then we'd leave him shut in a room, but with the den in there so he had the choice.. and then when he began to always choose being out of the den rather than in it, we took it out of the room. But we left it up in the garage, so if we were ever in the garden and the garage door was open, he could go in there and sniff about in it, so he knew it hadn't completely gone.

Probably about three months ago now, so at about 8/9 months we put it down completely and he doesn't seem to miss it. He does have an enormous bed and a big comfy duvet in the back room tho! :D

We were very lucky that the room he used to sleep in had a tiled floor and not much furniture, so we could trust him a lot more in there than say a packed kitchen.

But believe me, it seems to take ages to trust them at the time, but then all of a sudden you realise that they can be trusted in any room and now at almost a year, Oscar has the run of downstairs at night, and we haven't once come down to any nasty surprises :D

HTH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Oscachops,

thats a great help, i think we will try do it over a few weeks, leaving the door open then it's his choice when he comes and goes'.

do agree it's all about trust, i think when we trusted him before he let us down which may have an effect on our choices, he's getting far better so we will try again,

bless them!!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie currently has a 30" crate (which we're borrowing) and now I need to get him a bigger one that he can use when he is also fully-grown.

Not sure what is the ideal size - either a 42" in length which says is ideal for labs, or the 48" size ... What size does everyone else use?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Karen,

I have a 48" crate which i find ideal, it's bid enough for a fulls size Lab and our Bailey does not seem cramped (he can fully sit/stand up in it).

It may be worth buying the bigger one and this wil at least last as he will not grow out of it.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for your reply - I will go for the 48" crate then, as not having had a full-sized lab before it's difficult to tell which would be the best option.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got a 48" cage brand new from Ebay at about £50. It arrived really quickly and was much cheaper than elsewhere I've seen.

Although, it takes up a lot of room, it will fit him when he is grown up. I even fit in it :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts