Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping someone could give me advice about Labrador health checks? I’m looking at a litter on champdogs, both dam and sire have good hip/elbow scores and clear eye but results are from 2018. Also dam not tested for eic/cnm/hnpk, not sure whether this matters if sire is unaffected? We would not be breeding our dog. Anyone any experience here?

Also, i was expecting to have to go on a waiting list for a puppy, should I be wary that all these puppies are available? I’m new to this so any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I’m hoping someone could give me advice about Labrador health checks? I’m looking at a litter on champdogs, both dam and sire have good hip/elbow scores and clear eye but results are from 2018. Also dam not tested for eic/cnm/hnpk, not sure whether this matters if sire is unaffected? We would not be breeding our dog. Anyone any experience here?

Also, i was expecting to have to go on a waiting list for a puppy, should I be wary that all these puppies are available? I’m new to this so any help would be very much appreciated!
Hi Kalci, both parents should have a current clear BVA eye certificate, so within the last 12 months, and as long as at least one is clear for the genetic conditions, then pups cannot be affected. I would add to your list PRA and SD2, although this can depend on the lines your prospective puppy is from, it's worth looking for a litter where these tests are in place. I would make sure you are 100% happy with the health tests before making any contact, as once people see cute puppies, they more often than not cannot say no, even if they know that things could have been done a bit better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that’s v helpful and I take your point completely about not viewing pups lightly!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Thank you that’s v helpful and I take your point completely about not viewing pups lightly!
Having been on a couple of waiting lists, I can tell you that it's a lovely experience waiting for pups to be born, and being a part of the whole experience from the beginning to when you bring your puppy home.

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
Tarimoor has given you good advice, and really I have nothing to add. As she says, the eye test should be renewed every year. But depending on the date in 2018 I would decided whether it was acceptable to me or not. Thinking if it is only a month or so out of date I can understand a breeder not wanting to subject a pregnant bitch to the stress. Again as she says, providing one side is clear on the DNA tests fine, because all the Labrador DNA problems which we can test for are carried as recessive genes, so provided one side is clear the worst a puppy could be is a carrier. It could NEVER become affected by that condition. So if you are not going to breed then no problem.

With my Amy I knew her sire, and I saw her dam and put my name on a puppy the day she was mated. With Chloe I knew both sire and dam and put my name on a pup around 2 months before the mating took place. These days with the internet and social media I was watching videos of her growing right from a couple of hours or so after she was born!

Regards, John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply John that’s very useful to know. How nice to have been ‘expecting’ your pups and see them from newborn!

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
I chose Chloe literally from what I saw on the videos. When I went to see them for the first time they were all asleep in the far corner of the puppy run. Chloe opened her eyes, saw me and came trotting over to me while the rest stayed in the far corner. When we got the bitches out they all came to me before trotting off to explore, except Chloe who stayed with me. So I get the feeling that although I chose her, she also chose me. She is now asleep in the back of my chair and I'm balanced on the front 6 inches!

I HATE THAT DOG!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I chose Chloe literally from what I saw on the videos. When I went to see them for the first time they were all asleep in the far corner of the puppy run. Chloe opened her eyes, saw me and came trotting over to me while the rest stayed in the far corner. When we got the bitches out they all came to me before trotting off to explore, except Chloe who stayed with me. So I get the feeling that although I chose her, she also chose me. She is now asleep in the back of my chair and I'm balanced on the front 6 inches!

I HATE THAT DOG!!!!!
:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin: The worst ones always choose you ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts