Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some advice in regard to bite inhibition for my 8 week chocolate girl. The first couple of days home she only nipped us a couple of times and that was easily stopped with a quick yelp or no bite or a slight tap on the bum. But since she has been becoming more settled it has been becoming worse. As soon as she wakes up in the morning she is hyper, I play with her after she has gone toilet but she just goes for my face and hands or latches on to my clothes (or zips!). The worst time is in the morning because you cant play with her on the floor as she is always going after me. I have tried everything to get her to stop, by yelping, saying no bite and then freezing (which then leads to her whining and jumping up/destroy furniture/her bed), placing a toy in her mouth, slight tap on the bum or nose but nothing seems to be getting through with her and i can't seem to settle her. She has plenty of chew toys: a few nylabones, rope toy, squeaky toy, a ring but she never plays with them herself (not even when she is in her crate) just goes for my hands first.

Her toilet training and clicker training has been going really well so I know she is a cleaver dog. She’s been learning ‘leave it’ and just started on ‘drop’, which she does fine with when she is tempted with food. But I can’t keep feeding her all day to get her to stop biting me!

Does anyone have any other suggestions!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will have a look at that again.

I don't smack her. It is a tap on the bum that has no force behind it at all, and only happens when she is hanging off my wrist.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi - whatever you do, please don't slap/hit your puppy (or adult dog!!) even if it's just a tap. She will either see this as you engaging in play fight which will make her bite even more (and there starts a vicious circle of bite/slap) or at worse she will start to fear you and will weaken the bond between you two.

My Cooper was REALLY bad at biting and I posted several messages as I was desperate and CONVINCED that he was worse than any other pup and he was truly attacking me... I had bruises and scratches all over, he ripped up lots of clothes and I had to wear double layers and long sleeves in the summer to protect myself...!! Well turns out I was wrong. The biting stopped.

The ONLY thing that worked for us was me leaving the room. It's boring. It's annoying. You need to repeat it like a gazillion times. But one day you will wake up, your pup will have finished her first teething phase and you'll find that you haven't thrown away any clothes in a while...

Continue with your training which will strengthen your bond and give you a voice and continue to play with her, encourage her to chew her toys, and stop interacting with her as soon as she bites you. Leave the room and count to 30. Come back without looking at the puppy. Then ask her to do something like 'sit' and as a reward start play again.

Try to see this as an opportunity to teach her how to interact with humans as right now she has no idea what is expected of her (what I'm trying to say is that she is not mean and she is most certainly not trying to hurt you!). Also if you have friends with well balanced adult dogs, bring them around (provided that they are up to date with their vaccines) as they will also help teach the bite inhibition. And yes, lots of filled kongs and treats help as well!

Good luck and be patient!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been through exactly the same thing very recently. I got my puppy in mid October and was in near despair. John W offered me reassurance that it would pass - and it has! I haven't had bleeding hands since the beginning of December!
The bad news is nothing seemed to work - screeching just made Molly more excited, ignoring her led to jumping at me jaws wide. Somehow we got through it - repeatedly saying 'no' and shoving something in her mouth - and she is delightful now, a joy to be with.
Hang on in there for another month!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
They have a really crazy crocodile stage at this age.

Remember any training won't work first time - it's repetition that teaches them. Be consistent and the message will get through. Don't tap her nose or bum - this won't work and she'll simply see it as an invitation to play.

I always had a chew handy to put in her mouth, or a toy if she'd had her ration of chews. I often picked her up so I could direct the chew at her teeth and calm her down. So much so that now, when she wants a fuss she brings a toy.

When the pup nips your hand squeal, get up and act really hurt. All play stops. Leave the room if you need to. They learn but it takes many repeats of this at first.

I also recommend that you find a good puppy class as soon as she's allowed out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
They are all teeth at this age. Ted is nearly 5months now and still nips but mostly licks now!!

He's teething so chews and bones help.

But it's all repetition. Saying 'no' firmly. They do get the message

·
Registered
370 Posts
I found Poppy's biting eased off around the 20 week mark, but before this, the only thing that would calm her down in the evenings, when she was feeling particularly nippy was popping her in the hallway on her own for five or ten minutes (where she wasn't able to hurt herself or anyone else). More often than not, when I opened the door again, she would be asleep, so in hindsight I think sometimes she was overtired, resulting in her *mischievous* behaviour.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It will pass. She isn't teething at this age, but that's the only way she learned how to play until now, just take a look at any movie on YouTube with 6 or 7 week old puppies playing with each other. In the first few weeks they are blind and learn to explore the word with their nose and their mouth so it's perfectly normal.

What I've done somewhat successfully was to play with my dog until he started nipping my hands. When that happened I would say a sharp "auch" and if he wouldn't stop I would turn around and avoid playing with him at all. When he would calm down, we'd play some more and stop again when he's nipping me again.

Touching the bum doesn't really work because it just diverts attention. It won't tell your dog something is wrong unless you really hit her, which is even worse (although I have to admit I did that once when Dante tore up a brand new sweater). Nipping is fun for her, but they are able to remember the outcome so if you stop playing she'll stop nipping. Eventually :)

There's also a second stage around 3-4 months when she'll be teething. I'm using Acana Puppy Large Breed and I feed my Dante three times a day, so half of the meal fitted nicely in a small Kong for puppies. I normally the kibble in a glass, add water, wait a couple of minutes, stuff the Kong with the moist kibble and put it in the freezer. Because the Kong was cold, it helped with the teething pains and because the kibble was so compact, he could only get a small bite. He used to work a kong for 30 minutes, enough for me to take a shower and make coffee in the morning :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts