Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I asked my vet he strictly said "No" to me like i was a puppy :oops: when i asked the vet if i could give her a nice bath. She is now starting her sixth week. When are lab puppies allowed to be given a bath. And oh ya my puppy has HORRIBLE BAD BREATH. Though ill be reasing this question next time i take her 2 the vet (which will be soon coz her poopy is soft) , what experience do u ppl have about bad breath in little puppies and how to decrease it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Anando

I got Scooby when he was 8 weeks old and he had 'puppy breath'. This is maybe what your has? It goes away in a few weeks.

Is his poop soft or runny? If it is just soft then it isn't a problem. It depends on what they eat and if they have a tummy upset. If it is runny or has blood in it then you will need to see the vet.

I gave my puppy a bath when he was 8 weeks. It did not get rid of the 'puppy' smell, if that's what you want. It is only advisable if they are really dirty or smelly (after having rolled in lots of smelly things!). If you do then be careful not to get water in their eyes or ears and make sure the shampoo is well diluted (or just use water) and towel dry and keep warm till dry.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wouldn't say she's too young, but why do you want to bath her now, particularly? Mine only get bathed when they are too dirty/smelly to be sorted out with a brush or, failing that, a cloth and bucket of water. You can irritate the skin if you bath them too often.

At the other extreme of bathing habits, though, I know someone who loves dogs but is allergic to them - she now has a poodle which does not set off her allergies... so long as the dog gets bathed once every 7 days (and her collar/lead/bedding/everything also washed). If she lets it go even one extra day she starts to get symptoms. She uses a special mild shampoo and has to make sure there are absolutely no traces left in the coat afterwards, so that it does not cause problems. This dog has been bathed once a week from 8 weeks old I believe and is doing beautifully. Obviously, this is an unusual case though!

Edited to add: it's not a bad idea to get her used to wherever she'll be bathed, though, and gradually introduce water etc, to avoid the pup being scared by being bathed.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,dylan was showered as soon as we got him home,it was new years eve and he stank to high heaven as he had been rolling around in the snow and the muck in the yard with his brothers and sisters,he loves the shower, and takes every opportunity to try and sneak in there,thankfully thehe cant turn the water on otherwis he'd be there every day,dylan is a dirty lab, he enjoys rolling in anything he shouldnt and we have a few fox dens around and if he gets a chance he's off,so he does get showered quite often,so whoever wrote the book saying dont bath/shower them didnt have a smelly dirty ponds, fox poo loving lab.lynne.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe i would love to see dylan in action . Well i did take her to the vet and seems she has a upset tummy and has been given medicine. I guess that was the reason for her STINKYYYY breath. I want to give her a shower coz she is dirty. Her paws and all are getting brown . (more brown than what she usually is) she is a yellow lab with brownish streaks. BTW i am allergic to dogs too so some1 said ppl are not normally allergic to labs so i got her. First few days it was difficult for me (sneezinga bit ) then it seems i got used to it. Now i can see her sleeping on the floor near the kitchen door and i think OMG she is so cute but only when she is as asleep :evil: . She is becomin a very stubborn bitch (no she is a bitch didnt use that word as an insult :lol: ) thx for ur help anyways.

ps: i have been given a puppy spray by the vet which keeps the puppy smell away and her puppy poo breath seems to be diminishing a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts