Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have been loitering for a while and thought it was time for my first post! I have been enjoying looking at all your beautiful dogs!

Ok, so my fiance and I have been looking into getting a puppy for our family, which includes 2 boys aged 1 and 5.

What are peoples thoughts on having a puppy with kids of this age?

Thanks.

Kirstin xxxx

?

·
0 Posts
Kirstin said:
2 boys aged 1 and 5.

What are peoples thoughts on having a puppy with kids of this age?
I think it's great to bring up children alongside animals, it teaches them sooo much. However, having done it myself, it is bleddy hard work and a real balancing act to get enough time for the dog as well as the children. Puppies take up HUGE amounts of time, especially in that first year and Labrador puppies are NOT the sweet gentle pups you see on TV, they can be rough, VERY bitey, they poo and pee everywhere inside and out and they get into absolutely EVERYTHING.

If you think you can make time EVERY day for the pup, then go ahead and start researching for a good breeder. I would say those first few weeks are about the equivalent of having another toddler in the house though....the only differences being you CAN shut the pup in a crate and go out for an hour or two during the day without it.....and you can put a nappy on a baby. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Totally agree with everything Jules said! My son was 6 in July and I am SO glad I waited until now before getting Rueben!

As Jules says puppies are HARD work (but great fun too) but Rueben was such a little crocodile, I think I would have found it hard had I had him when my little chap was only a year old. At Bens age now, I could explain to him why the pup was nipping etc, and we still had lots of tears because Rueben got him with those little needly teeth!

However that is obviously just my opinion!

Have a good think about it and maybe read some of the posts in the puppy section, they are so helpful!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Joshie was 3 when we got Beetle and now at 4 - the 2 are inseparable. That bit is so lovely to watch.

Having said that, the boys are the OH's sons from a previous and therefore we only see them at weekends.

Again, we had lots of tears at the beginning, particularly as the pup tends to view the children as litter mates and play bite all the more!!

I really think it would be worthwhile trawling through the advice in the puppy section - But if you are prepared to the hard work - then the children will grow up with one of the best companions in the world, who will adore them!!

My brother had a puppy lab (she is nearly 11 now) when his daughter was one years old...and there are bound to be people on here with very similar experiences

g

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
You'll probably need to get a crash helmet and knee and elbow pads for the one year old because a boisterous puppy will soon knock him over :lol: He'll need to get used to having his hands and face 'washed' by the puppy whenever your back's turned and learn not to leave any toys about where the puppy can get them. Having said that, the relationship between a child and growing Labrador can be absolutely marvellous and I know that my grandchildren and dogs all love each other to bits.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Lyndaloo said:
You'll probably need to get a crash helmet and knee and elbow pads for the one year old because a boisterous puppy will soon knock him over :lol: He'll need to get used to having his hands and face 'washed' by the puppy whenever your back's turned and learn not to leave any toys about where the puppy can get them. Having said that, the relationship between a child and growing Labrador can be absolutely marvellous and I know that my grandchildren and dogs all love each other to bits.
Are all labs born with the knowledge that small children have great tasting faces!!! Luna is impossible!! She met a young boy on sat pm before he'd had ice cream and after - completely different experiences for the poor lad!!!!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I got my first lab when my son was 3 and they were best friends> she did kknock him over on a times but he just got up and started palying all over again.
I got my pup just before my daughters 4 th borthday and they are inseperable, she was the first one in here he stopped biting , they nap together and if sh'es up to something he's right behind her helping, including digging a proper man hole in my back garden. :roll: Every command she gives him he does it first time an he cries if she goes anywhere without him..lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,

We got Truffle just after my son turned 3 this summer, and he is so jealous of the dog it is unbelievable (think sibling rivalry!). All the stairgates have gone back up to keep them apart when myself or OH can't be with them, but it's not going to be long before Truffle can jump them (he's 20 weeks now). I really struggle to find enough time in the day for both - often Truffle is ignored so that I can play with my son (all toys have had to move upstairs) and visa versa.

If I could go back to the summer, I think I would wait until my son was at school before getting a puppy so that I could give it the amount of time it requires. Having said that I love Truffle to bits so we'll make it work!

Cat and Truffle

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hello my son was 16 months old when we got Bailey, and my daughter was 3 years old

It was hard work but I found have babygates everywhere, and a crate for Bailey helped a lot (we have all babygates up again as we have just taken on a rescue dog :D )

Bailey used to jump and nip at the kids faces, especially if they ran, so I found that if we all went to play in the garden I would put Bailey on the lead....so she was spending time with the kids but not able to jump all over them

Fast forward 2 years and Bailey is such a big softie with the children, and she is especially close with my son who is still pre-school age and spends a lot of time with her :D

It was hard work but soooo worth it :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have 2 children, 5 and 3, and 2 dogs, 5 and 10 months. 1st baby was 6 months when puppy arrived and I was at home full-time. Toilet training was fine as she wasn't walking or crawling (think about reality of lots of wee and probably poo on floor in first few weeks), although most toys got chewed and when she learnt to walk had to get pretty steady quickly to avoid being sent flying. It was very hard work, particularly finding time to get to training classes and trying to retrieve a dog gone awol with a buggy. Our first dog was also really nippy. 2nd dog is now 10 months, was very nippy in the first few weeks and liked chasing toddlers and pulling their clothes (they run away and scream - great game for a puppy). You have to train the dog and the children. They can never be left unsupervised at that age, you will never have a dog hair free house (or children!) and will need to find space for a large crate. Think about walks every day in dreadful weather with a buggy or poorly children. Also think about broken sleep in the first few weeks while toilet training just as you are probably getting to sleep thru' and how grumpy you'll be with small children! Having said that I knew no different and there are loads of positives - the children love the dogs, they really are part of our family and we a have much more outdoor lifestyle than we perhaps would have had - lots of family fresh air and exercise because of dog walks. I wouldn't change anything despite the hard work but don't underestimate it or think it lasts only a few weeks, I found our first dog was hardest work from 6 mths to 2 years, but they have enhanced all our lives. Last piece of advice - think about time of year to get a pup - changing a nappy in the middle of the night is one thing in the dead of winter but standing outside puppy toilet training at that time of year is not fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
A month before I was born mum decided to get a Golden retriever pup, every picture of me as a child - he's included. I don't seem to have suffered any physical damage or abnormal (licks armpit, rolls over on back and chews foot) side effects.
:?

Needless to say pups and children get my vote!

However, as previous posts mention, your going to have to spend some time and effort above and beyond the training and early house training duties in educating pup around the children.
One contributing factor you might consider is the temprement of the dog, In time he'll adapt to match your home, no doubt, but might be worth speaking with a couple of breeders about starting with the type of temperament in a dog you desire.

Good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is not hugely helpful since I don't have kids but I thought I'd add my two penn'eth. Mackie was 8 weeks old (had him 1 week) and went to see my sister, BIL & nephew for the weekend. Nephew was 9 months old, so fascinated with this furry black self moving toy, but not mobile so couldn't run with him.

The pair of them were SO gentle with each other it was unbelieveable, but it was a full time job for me with the puppy, and for my sister with the baby. I have full respect for one person managing both critters at once!

On the plus side now though, Mackie is completely trustworthly with children and still very very gentle, even when they're running around and playing chase with him.

Maybe try a friend with a puppy coming to stay for the w/e and see how everyone copes....

I

·
0 Posts
I grew up with a much loved family dog, and myself longed for a dog for years but as a single parent (OH is not my kids' dad) I felt it would be too much for me with two kids when they were small.

Now my youngest is 10 I feel I can devote enough time to a puppy, specially as the girls have shown a lot of caring and responsibility for our other animals (cat and guineapiggies if you're curious). And I still live as a single parent because OH lives and works abroad (for now ~taps feet impatiently~ :lol: ) - so it'll be entirely my responsibility, me getting up in the early, me poop picking, and training - the lot.

'Nough about me though...

Your situation will be different but my advice is to think about it carefully and look at your own kids; how do they act around animals? Are they excited "Whoop"ers or do they sit calmly and confidently? It's worth exposing them to other people's puppies, as Marmalady suggests.

I know people who've done it, and everyone's lived to tell the tale - I imagine it will be a lot of hard work with todders + housetraining accidents of all types! Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
My 2 children were 3 and 7 when we got Ruby as a pup. A couple of weeks after we got Ruby my friend bought her 18month little girl around and it was hard keeping a nippy, bouncy puppy from knocking her flying.

From experience I have found that my daughter was about the youngest I would have with a puppy around for a number of reasons. Mainly that she was at an age where she had understood why I was telling her to how to behave around Ruby. She was also sufficiently big enough to withstand most of the knocks although she did still end up on the ground being licked to death. Although I was careful about leaving the children with Ruby I didn't have to worry as much as I would have done if they were younger.
It is also harder to find time to walk and train with younger children. My daughter starts school tomorrow and I can't wait to be able to give Ruby more of my time rather than dragging a reluctant child out in all weathers.

I hope this helps

Chloe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so much.
My eldest is quite calm around pups - we went to see a fantastic litter last week and he was great - just sat calmly. Younger one is actually 16 months. We took him to visit a friends puppy, and he was fine, the only issue was keeping his dummy safe!
I keep thinking about the night time waking - my littlest one is still quite a poor sleeper, so it should be OK!!! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts