Labradors Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Tarimoor would be better placed than me to answer this, because she has tested dogs more recently than me. Also prices vary around the country. But they are not cheap. We charge £48 for the BVA eye test, but of course that's a yearly test. The other tests are once in a lifetime test. Hips and elbows, say £300 to £500 according to who does the ex-rays. DNA tests, roughly £50 a test, although some laboratories do a panel of the main tests needed for Labradors. For instance, the Labrador Retriever Breed Council negotiated rates with Paw Print Genetics for the 6 most common tests for an all in price of $288 (Which of course would vary with the pound/dollar exchange rate.)

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
No more than £750 including fuel, I'll be having my bitch done in a couple of months, she's genetically clear for everything but will be doing BVA eye cert, hips and elbows, and her sister (who is owned by someone else but has agreed to let me test her, not only because the more info the better, but also, if there's anything wrong with the results for the pup I kept, they have agreed to have a litter for me to keep a bitch pup back). A couple of the litter have gone on to others who may want to breed as well, which, if they health test and the results are good I will lift endorsements for them. An older full sister to my pup has been health tested over in Germany and has A1 hips and elbows, which is pretty much the equivalent of 0 elbows and 4 or below for hips I believe (John Weller will know more).

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Tarimoor would be better placed than me to answer this, because she has tested dogs more recently than me. Also prices vary around the country. But they are not cheap. We charge £48 for the BVA eye test, but of course that's a yearly test. The other tests are once in a lifetime test. Hips and elbows, say £300 to £500 according to who does the ex-rays. DNA tests, roughly £50 a test, although some laboratories do a panel of the main tests needed for Labradors. For instance, the Labrador Retriever Breed Council negotiated rates with Paw Print Genetics for the 6 most common tests for an all in price of $288 (Which of course would vary with the pound/dollar exchange rate.)
There are much cheaper bundles now John, I paid about £115 for a test from Pet Genetics last year, which tests for about 150 conditions, not all are relevant to Labradors, but the main culprits (and more) are in there, PRA, CNM, EIC, HNPK and SD2. Interestingly there's a test for Labrador obesity, which Zasa is clear for. Unfortunately there's no test for the ratbag gene, my girls are definitely affected ;)

I pay about £60 for the eye test, and then it's about £350-£450 for the hips/elbows, but I choose to drive to a vet who is experienced in taking the plates for submission to the BVA. I got burnt the very first time with Indie and a vet who took poor plates that were rejected by the BVA, so don't risk it now.

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Is Pet Genetics still around Joanne? When they first started I spent a lot of time talking to their owner about DNA tests for Labradors, suggesting they contact the KC about direct reporting of results. But then they seemed to disappear.

We all have all have our favourites for hips and elbows, people we know will give a well positioned well defined plate. I use either Marilyn at Southern Canine Imaging, or Pauline at Hook Norton. (All way to far south for you.)

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Sorry, not them. It was Petagenics I was dealing with. In fact Petagenics were sending the DNA to Pawprint for the actual testing, so in effect were only a clearing house. Interestingly all the links to their website are now broken, although checking at "Companies House" they are still listed as a company.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I just came across the vet bill for the last time I did hips and elbows, which is about six years ago now I would think, didn't look at the date, and it was £246, done under sedation. That vet has since stopped doing them so I'm now going to have to find another vet I trust, I've got an idea of one but it's about an hour and a half away.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts