Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone. I have got two fifteen week black labrador pups. They have been an absolute joy so far and as I don't work, I have been able to shower them with attention and we are inseparable. I am pregnant at the moment and the pups will be almost six months old when the baby is born. Do you think they will be drastically effected by the arrival of the baby? I don't want the two of them to feel left out when I am with the baby. Will they still need to be supervised constantly at this age?

G

·
I'll be honest with you.....Yes they will be drastically affected. Purely because you will have very, very little time for them. The baby, unfortunately for all, will arrive just as they start finding their feet and NEED far more mental stimulation, training, exercise, etc....and yes they will probably need MORE supervision and input at this age, especially as you have two of them.

You situation isn't impossible but you MUST have some sort of plan ready for once the baby arrives, or else within weeks your world will collapse round your ears. You WILL be shattered after the baby is born, probably for several weeks or months, what with your recovery, both hormonal and physical, plus the lack of decent sleep. So you will really need help with the pups. You will need someone to be able to train and take them out individually, as if they are constantly together, they will form an alliance and no one else will matter....Litter Siblings, or even dogs of a similar age kept together in "normal" circumstances, all too easily become Nightmare Dogs. So in your case you really have to get them under control and have them individually respecting and obeying you now, before it is too late.

Can I ask....Did the breeder who sold you two pups KNOW you were pregnant? As if they did, I'm disgusted. It isn't advisable to sell two pups to any inexperienced owner, let alone a prenant one :roll: .

Sorry if none of this is what you wanted to hear but it is best you hear it now, as you can start making plans and getting help before it is too late.

G

·
I have to agree with Jules. I don't think I could have coped with a baby and one pup, let alone two! 8O

I wanted to get a pup when we first moved to our house (I was 3 months pregnant at the time) but everyone advised me that it would be a very silly idea, they were SO right!! I am incredibly glad we waited until Ben was 5 and at school before we got Rueben, this meant that he had my undivided attention for a good part of the day so we could have training time, playtime etc. and once Ben was home from school I then had time for him.

Obviously you already have your pups and you're already pregnant so I think you need to take Jules advice and make sure you have lots of people who can help with the pups. Taking care of a newborn is a full time job and you will be very tired, for months and months!! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna was my 'baby' and around 6 months was around the time she switched from being eager to please to testing and exploring every single boundary. I found it an interesting time (as had nothing else to focus on!) just seeing what she was going to try next!!!

She chewed a lot more as BIG teeth came through, rawhide chews became essential. She 'forgot' how to recall so lead walking became normal alongside LOTS of play sessions to tire her in the garden. She also came into season just as we had her booked into be spayed so exercise routines had to be changed to avoid all the male pooches that we usually met on walks.

I found it was essential to have a routine for her for my own sanity!! Ie she would rest after walking so that's when I'd get chance to shower, get dressed etc. Then she'd be awake so I'd be actively cleaning or gardening so that she could follow me and be busy watching or 'helping'!!! Then we'd play footie or train in the garden before she had a chew. Then she'd sleep for a few hours giving me chance to nip to the shops for an hour or so before going for another walk. Then she'd need more play, training, chewing and attention!! before sometimes another quick walk to tire her before bed!!!

How a baby would fit in!!!!!!?????
I'd just say make sure that you do as much training and bonding with pups before babe arrives as poss. And get pups used to being in a routine that you and others could maintain even after baby arrives.

You've got fun times ahead!!!!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I totally agree with every word Jules has written, so I don't have anything to add.

But I too would like to know if the breeder knew you were pregnant, for exactly the same reasons as Jules - I would never rehome 2 puppies to an inexperienced owner, and absolutely not to one expecting a baby.

You have a lot of hard work ahead of you, good luck!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have just noticed the names of your pups in your profile. Max and Roxy. That sounds to me like you have one dog and one bitch. Is that correct?

If so, have you given thought to how you will handle Roxy's first season, as that will happen in as little as 8 weeks time. You will need to be *very* careful indeed.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Just thought i would share this with you..I idn;t have a pup when i was pregnant but i did have a 4 year old lab and a son who was 7 while pregnant and my poor dog would've have suffered if it hadn;t been for great neighbours and friends walking her for me. Not every pregnancy goes smoothly and i was off my feet from 20 weeks pregnant. Even after i had the baby Madison took major offence that this little noisey thing taking over my life. She was a difficult doggy for the first few months and played up big time. As i was too tired, sore(got a section) and just generally wrapped up in a new baby and my son.
You will need help with the puppys as they will still be young and you will be tired.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I am sorry to say that I completely agree with everyone.

When we got Ruby last year my 2 children were 3 and 7 and that was hard enough. Finding time to do proper walking and training was hard.
It's easy when they are small as yours are now because they only need little walks but in about 6 months time they will need long walks across fields. You need to consider how you will manage with 2 strong dogs and a pushchair. I attempted it once when looking after a friends baby and it was not something I would volunteer again. Ruby was only about 7 months old and I let her off over the fields. When she decided to have deaf ears I had to leave the pushchair whilst grabbing runaway dog!!!! It was not that enjoyable!!

My daughter starts school tomorrow and to be honest I am looking forward to being able to give Ruby some lovely long walks and time for proper training now.

I hope this helps although I don't expect it is what you want to hear.

Chloe

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We have 2 dogs, 1 toddler who is nearly 2 and a baby on the way - I wont lie to you its bleedin hardwork, yes the dogs have suffered....we;ve tried to limit the impact on the dogs lives but its impossible, we have more babygates around the house than Mothercare and of course toddler and dogs can never be left alone together - it is easier now in that Alex (toddler) can play with the dogs (supervised) so they are all interacting with each other, and its lovely on walks when he holds their leads etc....but in 4 months time we'll have another baby so it'll be back to square 1 again!!

Our dogs were 1 and 3 when Alex came along and I have to say they both coped fantastically, they are brilliant with Alex and have never shown any form of jealousy toward him, but it is hard - when you've had no sleep and the baby is wingeing trust me the last thing you want to do is walk dogs, but you still have too!!!

I have to say the thought of 2 6 month old pups and a newborn fills me with horror as I remember how much work our boys were at 6 months old and we didnt have children then.....I have to be honest if I were in your situation I'd have to look into rehoming 1 of the dogs......

G

·
Bron you haven't said if your husband/partner will be around during the day? If he is then maybe he would take control of the dog situation.

We recently got Roxie who is 15 weeks and to be honest with you am so glad we waited until my children were old enough to take care of themselves. She is so good but I know that's because I've spent every minute of the day with her. Why did you decide to go for 2 puppies and not just the one??

Hope you manage to find a solution to this problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts