Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar is now 9 months old he is very strong, when we take him for a walk we can not stop him pulling us all the way to the park. Once there he will sit and let me take off his lead, once he is all run out he will walk home as good as gold. Any tips to stop him pulling. We also have very bad recall, we have tried treats but if he finds something he likes, usually another dog, he will not come back. He has been bitten a couple of times because of his persistence with other dogs, he is not aggressive in any way and never barks he just wants to sniff every dog he meets. Getting bitten has made him more cautious and he will stand back when I call him and assess the situation before storming in. I hate to see him get hurt, and I regularly get told off by owners of aggressive dogs for not keeping him on a lead, but he has a lovely nature and he loves a good run, once I have got him back I do put him on the lead. :?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
My trainer said bad recall and pulling can go hand in hand. Firstly, with recall invest in a long line (not nylon if you value your hands 8O ) of a good length and take Oscar to an open piece of land preferably where other dogs are usually on lead (in my experience lots of dogs running loose with one on a long line don't mix well, all sorts of issues with tangled legs I found).

Anyway, take him out on the long line, let him run about and then call him back with a specific command like 'come' (not just his name). If he doesn't come back immediately, or comes so far and stops, or just ignores you shorten the length of the long line to normal lead length (you may have to fetch him if his recall is really bad), give him verbal praise if he does return then walk him on a short lead for a few paces - don't let him pull, he has to walk nicely and once he does give him the full length again and continue training.

If he comes back pretty good, but does still hesitate or think about it. Give him a food treat and praise and walk him on a short lead for a bit then back to long line.

Your goal is for him to do a perfect recall, if he does this, comes straight back instantly, give him loads of praise, a food treat AND let him have full length of the long line without putting him on a short lead.

He'll soon twig that a perfect recall means he gets more freedom. This worked with Cadbury who had dreadful recall, but you do need to practice occasionally, it also meant it taught him to walk to heel. Unfortunately he still will pull when excited so I have recently switched to using a head collar and so far this has made a vast improvement. I intend to gradually wean him off it, but I know this may take quite some time!!

This advice comes from my personal experience and basically finding out what I did wrong and correcting it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts