Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8 month old chocolate Labrador who we are struggling with regarding his meet and greet and also when on his walks including recall, he likes to pull and loses concentration, likes to say hello to everything in sight (birds, buggies, bikes, people etc etc). The only thing that gets his attention is food and even then that doesn't work when something more interesting is in sight.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi there, Burt is an 18months old choc, and is only now calming down a little, he also finds anything that moves very exciting, apart from reinforcing the training of recall ( i do it at least 4 times a walk) its just time, they do get very excited. If there is something that Burt feels the need to jump/lunge at or pull me over to, I stop, make him sit down, until said thing has gone past or he stops pulling, it takes a while to get anywhere, but it seems to work for us. He has calmed a lot in the last month, his recall is much better now, he still runs off to greet people, but now he will come back once he has said hi, rather than a red faced me having to go and collect him.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi, I'm in the same boat. Cooper is almost 10months now and is now interested in the big wide world more than he is interested in me! He doesn't run off to people that much, but he wants to sniff and investigate everything, so sometimes our walks are him charging ahead to go sniff a lamp post or chase a bird or something followed by me pulling him as he is dragging behind sniffing that same lamp post! LOL!

I approach every walk as if it was our first one together, so high value treats, excited voice, etc... If he pulls I stop, call him to heel and start walking again when he's next to me. Sometimes if he's tired (say after a play at the park), then he walks beautifully, but I still need to practice with him having to control his energy.

Regarding your recall, I would practice, practice as it's so important not to let him run off from you - you never know how the other person/dog might react! If you can walk early morning at the weekends, there's usually less people around, so fewer distractions for you to practice. You can use 2 toys (one higher value, i.e. a squeaky ball), so you throw the first toy to send him away, then squeak the other and when he is running towards you reinforce 'come' and reward with more games or treats. You want him to know that running towards you is good and fun and it pays!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I try to do the 'heel' practice at the beginning of the walk - so being let off to run around is the reward for a short distance of good heel walking. And what better reward for a lively lab!

Having a piece of nice smelly sausage in your hand (making sure your hand is on your leg in the correct position for the dog to heel) helps in the early stages - and using the word 'heel' often when s/he's in the right place.

All this I learned from puppy classes, which are so very valuable, we still go.

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts