Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up this morning to find Ruby in her crate with a face that looked like a boxer's (the fighters, not the dogs).

Her eyes were puffed up to the point that they were barely open, and her whole face looked slightly distorted, with puffed-up bits here and there. She was absolutely fine in herself, though, and her face looked slightly better when we got back from her morning walk.

I've booked her into the vets this morning in any case, just in case she needs anti-biotics or something. I can only assume she stuck her face into something she shouldn't have on her walk in the woods last night. The other thing I did notice was that she seemed to have moulted a large amount of hair in her bedding last night - so much so that it was noticeable (normally there's nothing there). Not sure if the two things are connected!

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I'd be interested to know if she's not alone! In the meantime please keep your fingers crossed for her at the vet (who we've been to so often lately that the nurse who answered the phone said 'oh is it Ruby again?') :oops:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
:( Sorry no experience but certainly would appear she has been stung by something or had a nasty reastion?

Good Luck this morning at the vets :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just went downstairs and OH said there was a wasp crawling around on the floor. Ruby went over and tried to get it, and he thinks it stung her on the foot before he could get to her. He's killed it now. We're now wondering if that's what got her in the night while she was in her crate. We'll let the vet know anyway, and make sure he checks her foot!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
It does sound as though Ruby has had an allergic reaction to something, aprt from the possibility of the wasp has she been through any nettles recently?

Hope the vets visit goes well and its nothing serious for her :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
_Mary_ said:
It does sound as though Ruby has had an allergic reaction to something, aprt from the possibility of the wasp has she been through any nettles recently?
Thanks Mary. She may well have gone into some nettles in the woods - she's off her lead most of the time there so I'm never quite sure what she's running through! I'm hoping she's not allergic to nettles, though, as it will make off-lead walks a bit tricky in future.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me too, Mole had something similar when she was tiny, we never did find out what caused it

its abit blurry but you can see how she's all puffy :D

Hope it all goes well at the vets this morning x

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shona had what we think was a sting a few weeks ago and was as you described with puffy face and feet. She was really itchy and rubbing herself on the ground and my leg so that would explain the fur loss. Our vet gave her an antihistamine and steriod injection and then she was on oral steroids for a week. After the antihistamine she was quite drowsy but back to normal after that. We'll just have to keep an eye on her knowing how allergic she is.

Hope the vets sorts her out and she gets back to normal asap!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SarahJane - that pic of Mole is just how Ruby's face was first thing. Thanks.

Thanks everybody who followed up. We're off to the vets now!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
awww she really is Hudsons sister!!!!!!!

Huds is allergic to wasp stings and has been bitten twice now.... hang a mo I think I have a pic somewhere!

In fact... here is the original thread... its one of the first I ever posted here!!

clicky click

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Hope the vet has given something to help Ruby be more comfortable - poor pooch! Let us know how she gets on.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
aww poor Ruby, hope she's less puffy soon.x

Fee, Huds was so cute as a puppie...thats the first piccies i've seen of him as wee one... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everybody who's commented. The vet thought it very likely that the wasp was to blame (he said if she'd got an allergy to something in the woods her face would've been puffy last night). He gave her an injection to reduce the swelling and we've to just keep an eye on her today. The swellings should go down within a few hours.

She's been very dozy since we got home, and has that 'feeling sorry for myself' expression whenever we go and give her a fuss.

Fee - that photo of Huds as a pup is so gorgeous and there's a really strong resemblance to Ruby. Wonder if they've inherited their allergic reactions from daddy?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I hope Ruby is feeling more her normal self soon, the injection has probably made her dopey, a good sleep will do her good :)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Might be worth keeping some Piriton in stock in case this happens again.

Poor pooch :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts