Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time has lapsed since I wrote my first post about this on here called 'Dogs as Individuals' which became a sticky in the behavioural section. I thought I would just touch on this again more briefly and more as a bit of fun.

I consider my kids split into two camps here. 'P's and 'W's.

There is a long scientific behavioural type explanation to how I have broken this down, and identified my 'P's and my 'W's (and yes the initals originally came from Pawcrest and Wylanbriar, the kennels which make up my lot....) but now further down the line are not 'kennel' specific.

The simple test.

Turn your dog out (and of course I don't mean ACTUALLY!) on the most remote solitary moor without human given food or water for a few days. How do they react?

My 'W's shrug. Have a minor panic. Give themselves a shake and trot off happily to find something to kill and eat for dinner. They pad down somewhere sheltered for the night. They make a campfire with persistance and hard work (well maybe... ;-)) They cope, just fine basically till collected and are keen to know when they get their own survival TV show so they can do it all again and get paid.....

My 'P's go into a major decline! They search desperately for the nearest One Stop totally unable to even consider hunting something out naturally because they could break a nail. They will fall in rivers. Be scared of funny noises and generally call 999 in minutes. They will be found having dropped half a stone, shaking and in a tearful mess having only weathered one night. They will need extensive rehab and some serious counselling to 'recover from their ordeal'.

Right now here at our place, Mallie, Shiney, Tom and Brogan are most definately W's. Although only 9 weeks Brogan is SUCH a typical W, is SO independent, self sufficient and generally 'sorted' that I feel I may have my 'natural pack leader' again here which is cause for huge possible celebration! Her grandad was both a definate W and a perfect and absolutely typical NPL.

Without a doubt Deeds, Jade, Fish and Bond are P's. Jade is the queen of P's. Her Jimmy Choo's are famous in working circles and her idol is Paris Hilton. Fish would be a W but he would need to take a rucksack of emense proportions with nearly everything ever invented in the world in it to survive. Fish is high maintenance. Bondy is just too sweet to kill anything. He would need to have an earnest discussion with it first about how it would be giving up its life for the good of its species, and could he have a little chat about forgiving and forgetting until the poor thing would top itself rather than listen to his infernal mutterings....

SO.... question. Have a think and make a snap decision - is yours a P or a W?

;-)

Di

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Jana and Cori are definitely both P's, they dont have the brains to even open a packet left lying about never mind killing anything :roll: :roll: :roll:

Twix is defintely a W though, too smart for her own good, but too old to be bothered so maybe she would now be a P :?

Now we need another group shot Diana, only eight dogs to photograph at once, a doddle :lol:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Well going by the little time i've had Alfie i would say he was a 'W', very independant and would live the chance to try for a kill.

I did laugh at the thought of Madison.... she was so a P, dear lord if she got dirty all holey hell broke lose... :lol: :lol:

G

·
Bailey's defintely a 'P' although i'm pretty sure he's capable of fending for himself & being a 'W' he just cant be bothered & would rather someone else did it for him :lol:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Like his bruv Tom, Solly is most definately a W....it was something that stood out when we were choosing....he's very independent and unphased by anything and adapts to any situation. His ability to steal and open bins is already legend :lol: :wink: :lol:

ps he says hi to his bro and new cousins and hopes he can pop round to compare notes soon :D :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hmm, difficult - right now Mackie is definitly a 'P' because he's stuck with a cone on his head feeling incredibly sorry for himself. :lol: But under normal circumstances I reckon he's a 'W' - independent, nosey, confident, cheeky! :lol:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hmmmm not sure about CJ, he`ll steal anything he can get hold of in the house but whether he`d kill something for himself I don`t know, Cindy otoh although not a lab is most definately a "W", she`d have no hesitation in getting herself a meal if she had to, would she share it with CJ?, would she h*ll :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Two 'W's and one P here!

P
Bosun is a proper ditherer, if he needed to kill to eat, the prey would have to be dazed, confused and almost dead if Bosun was to have any chance of stumbling upon it. He is however very capable of stripping a bramble bush of it's blackberries, so would at least be getting his Vit C, and a good dose of wind :roll:

W
Rosie and Tess, are both survivors, but with very different styles.

As far as Rosie is concerned, the world revolves around her, and everything is there for the taking. She isn't terribly cool about this, and feels the need to whirl about the place, herding, collecting and stealing. She doesn't get scared - she just avoids the things that she doesn't fancy the look of.

Tess just quietly gets on with whatever life throws at her, she is unflappable, thoughtful and clever. There is nothing she likes better than an appetiser of dead mouse (left by the cats, if I don't get there first!) and will also gently finish them off if they're not quite dead 8O But she does it in such a quiet, interested way, it is almost cute. She clearly is an expert at keeping her head down and staying out of trouble too.

Both my 'W's are rescues ... they have both had a tough time. My 'P' came to us as a puppy and has never had to rough it or make a life saving decision ...

Do you think these circumstances can overide a genetic pre-disposition either way?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ooo good question!

i think poppy is probably a "p". she's a bit of a worrier and needs reassurance (yes, i know i shouldn't do it but when i'm pinned to the floor with her licking my ears so she can get said reassurance i can't do much about it!)

but on the other hand she's very nosy and friendly, and is into everything, loves getting muddy, smelly and wet.

the thing that makes me say she is a "p" is she came across a rabbit with myxomatosis, it was still alive and she could quite easily have killed it but didn't, she just stood there looking at it with a rather concerned look on her face :? i'm glad she didn't kill it but if she had she might have done the poor thing a favour :(

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ok, well this has been a hideously hard 'snap' decision :wink:.

On the whole though I think Dyl is like Jen's Bailey. A 'W' but lazy and on the whole would rather I provide a packet and open it for him. If abandoned though I'm confident that he'd just get on with it and find some food. More likely that he'd scavenge some stinky old dead rabbit than actually hunt if he could help it though :roll:.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
My Lottie is a definite 'P'..she is also scared of her own shadow.She is so laid back she's horizontal.A couple of weeks ago we came across a dead rabbit on a very narrow path.She really didn't know what to do.It took me about 10 minutes to get her to go past it and eventually she jumped about 6 feet in the air so her delicate toes didn't touch the nasty dead thing ! :) :)
She'd never be a 'W' even if I sent her on an Army Survival Course for 6 months :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,617 Posts
Tara is a P .She can kill flies and eat them,but anything else no.She is a bit of a wuss,but wouldn't change her. :) :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
One of each here I think.
Scamp comes over all macho but the slightest thing out of the ordinary and he panics big time.
Star is cool, calm and collected all the time, never panics and just gets on with life.
Katrina

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Carly is def. a P !

she wont even kill spiders for me :) she'll invite it onto her cushion, play with it, keep it company, even while her "mummy" is climbing the curtains to get away from it...

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Milly and Blue are deffo W Coco is a P but Carys Im not so sure.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Hmmm well.....

Two I can say straight - Alfie being a W and Leo being a P.

I think to be fair the other three are more W-like than P-like, although Bomber is my real question-mark really.

Hmmm.........

Vicki

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Z is definitely predominantly 'W' - as evidenced by the rabbit she disappeared through a hedge to despatch yesterday (whilst on her long line!). We were discussing this morning what a born survivor she is - she'd have no problem looking after herself at all and thinks hedges were made for going through and paths made to avoid. Makes training more interesting!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think Buddy is a W. He is so confident, not scared of anything and takes everything in his stride.
He is so curious and will investigate everything that's new to him whether we're near him or not. A very independent pup indeed. He always seems to have a look of quiet determination on his face, whatever he's doing.
He does like being near us of course and will lie on our feet (or our slippers!) but given the chance, he'd rather wander off to explore somewhere new I think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts