Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just having a little brag, but this really is to get all you lab owners out there to get posting on the show topics. I also remember from another thread that Patricia (hope I got the name right) :oops: was looking at showing and was wondering how she was getting on.

Tia has been doing really well recently winning all her shows and has been placed Best of Breed 7 times and also took a G1. Now this weekend was my proudest moment. Three of my dogs were placed in the same class and in the lineup Tia 1st, Summer 2nd and Ellie took reserve. It was also Ellies very 1st show, she was 6months just last week, Summer is 8months and Tia is now 13months. Even prouder with Ellie as I bred her myself. Must admit to having a little tear in my eye :wink:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh I wish. :lol: Sadly, although my dogs are good, I know that Ellie will never achieve this. Her tailset is not as good as I would have like and this means she will never be placed 1st at a qualifying show. But, even if my dogs dont go, I do, I LOVE to shop :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Kay
Very well done, the show world is a tough cookie these days. So that is a tremendous achievement. Do not knock it you could qualify for crufts if you go to the right Championship shows.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
congrats kay :) do you have any pics up to see?

i dont have the time or energy to show my labs good ol family pets spoilt rotten our mine....lol..the only thing they would show is show me up..lol.

good luck in your future showings :):)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Congratulations Kay, i bet you are so proud. Would love to see some photos :wink:

Does anyone else compete in shows...i would be really interested to hear your stories. :)

Julie

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, yes, I am very proud of all 7 of my labs. And I would happily post photos, but techno bimbo here cant get them to download :?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok , Techno Bimbo strikes again, :? have finally managed to upload half of Emma on one photo and a photo of Emma and Bailey in another, but please do not ask me how to find them. I did try to open a gallery under Exelby Clan, but somehow they have ended up in yellow labradors. :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Kay,

Have sorted out the photo album for you, you now have your own album called 'Exelby clan' within the 'Yellow Labradors' gallery. Unfortunately only one of your photos had been added successfully, but there's plenty of room left in your album for some more. :wink:

The reason why a photo only half loads sometimes is if the uploading process is interupted before its finished.

Your album can be viewed here:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/mod...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks :oops: I did try to download 5 photos at a time and it did cut me out a couple of time, hence the single photo, by this time I had lost the plot completely lol , I think it was silly o'clock in the morning though :D

Kay & The Exelby Clan

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hi Kayc,
Well done it must be quite an achievement with your dogs, I show my dogs aswell but have only achieved 2 first places in wee limited shows, It came as quite a shock to me when my 9 month old bitch won best gundog puppy, because I havent had much luck with my other 2 labs, maybe thats because I didnt make avery good choice when I picked them out in the litter. I am at another open type show this weekend, so heres keeping my fingers crossed that ellie behaves when it matters

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi kayc...

Congrats....I'm bet your a proud mum and you must be.....I'm now gonna view your pictures....

Best wishes
Vidhya

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Kay and well done,

I thought I would ask a question about shows if that is ok? The Local Labrador retreiver club (Kent Sussex and Surrey) holds 3 shows a year, 2 open and one championship. Since getting Jess I have become really interested in Labs generally(like most people on here probably :lol: ) and would like to go to the show as a spectator.

Generally do you have to book tickets or can you just turn up at the shows on the day? Also are there any other shows within an hour and a half of LOndon that people know about that I could go to? The next KEnt Surrey and Sussex one is in September.

Also could you explain about all the different classes (or suggest where I could find out more) please? :)

Part of me is also nosy about Jessies family history as well (I've been looking into mine so it seems natural to me to look at hers too! :lol: do i sound mad :x :lol:

looking at the results from recent shows, her grandad got 1st Field dog at Crufts this year and dogs and bitches from her other grandfathers kennel did well as well. At the Kent Surrey show her brother won best Minor Puppy, and her dad was best stud dog and fourth in the post graduate class.
Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats!
I have to admit to being totally and utterly confused by the world of dog shows what with the different types of show, all the different classes and all those abbreviations :) I picked up some leaflets from the KC Dog Days out Stand at Crufts in the hope that all would become clear, but they turned out to be very basic and didn't help solve any of the mystery at all!
Clare

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Jessie
A good weekly paper to get is Dog World, this lists most Dog Shows It is a good idea to go around a few open shows first. But you do have to enter these shows before the day. You have to telephone the show sec. for a schedule and then enter and send your entry with the money . Champ Shows close a lot earlier then open shows. If you have a Puppy 6months to 9 months it is better to enter them in minor puppy if there is no minor puppy enter in puppy which takes dogs up to 1 year. It does explain the classes in the schedule.
Some new people tend to put their little ones in too many classes, if I were you I would just enter the class for the age. If there is a maiden class you could go in to that. But do NOT enter every class. Hope that makes sense.
There are many Lab clubs Kent Surrey and Sussex being one. The Labrador Club is the big Club which covers everywhere, although you can join any of the clubs irrespective of where you live.
Midland Counties, Northwest Lab Club, Yellow Lab Club, Cotswold and Wyvern and so they go on Most have websites.
If you go to a Champ show I am sure you will find breeders there to talk to you and help you.
The two big General Shows near London are Windsor usually June /July and Richmond September which is usually held at Ascot, but I believe work is being carried out at Ascot Racecourse so I am not sure where the venue will be. Good Luck REgards Meg

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, Thanks everyone, that was now a month ago, and since then have been to quite a few opens and 1 champ show. Tia took VHC in the Breed club Champ show, 5thplace and final placing :( and I was also told she was too thin. Which to my mind is a load of tosh. She is very fit after working all winter and weighs a whopping 33 kilos of solid muscle. Unfortunately these days, in the show world the heavy stocky dog is what is regarded and the supermodel. Sorry, but I prefer my dogs fit and at the correct weight for them. Moan over. Despite that, Tia has won all her classes at every open show in the last month taking best of breed in all of them and taking G1 and other group placings. So, at just 14 months my little baby is now getting letters after her name :D Sh CM. Looks like we wont stand a chance on the JW though, only 2 champs show left before she is 18 months and I refuse to fatten her up for the kill :(
summer is consistently placed but still very babyish looking at 10 months so will have to wait until she matures. Ellie has only been to 3 shows, but placed in all of them and my proudest moment yet, was to take 2nd place in the breeders stakes with her.

Thankfully Megaloo has answered all the questions on showing, so no need for me to do that :D

Hi Brighteyes, I noticed you are in Perth, There is an open show in Dundee on 11th June which I am planning to enter. It would be good to meet up with you and anyone else.

God I do rabble on a bit dont I :oops:

Kay & The Exelby Clan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts