Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your labs Protective

Penny is over Protective with me and when out does not let any dogs near me.

Last night Sophie was attacked (again!) by a dog a terrier x breed and when I managed to get it off her Penny went into guard mode and attacked it herself. We had a bit of a bun fight going on.

I don't know if she was Protecting me, Sophie or both of us but she is so, so over Protective.

Does anyone else have this, or do I have an odd one :)

It's very sweet but sometimes I wish she would chill out a little!

·
Registered
492 Posts
No I haven't noticed this with Bailey. The only slight thing I've noticed is if I hug my boyfriend, he will come over and jump up at us, as if he doesn't want to be left out.

I'm no expert but could it be because she thinks he's pack leader and she's protecting the pack? Or would it be the other way round and they protect the pack leader?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Oh i wish Diesel was a little more like your dogs.
I was mugged last year whilst walking him and he didn't even come over to see if i was alright despite me calling him :evil: 8O

He's also watched 3 lads break into my old car and drive off in it without making a sound 8O
Maybe he just dosent like me :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Abby can be a little bit sometimes. If I am out walking with my friend she will sometimes bark at lone men coming towards us. If OH is with me she doesn't!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Mine are wary of strange people, especially Harry. His hackles will rise and a 'woof' lets me know there is someone they have not met before. It's certainly not something I encourage but the early warning comes in handy. Some folk, especially tourists from the local caravan site don't like dogs. :roll:
If the strangers have Labradors there is usually no problem but if they are tourist 'fluffballs on string' then I call mine back and put them on their leads.

Also when I am walking the kiddies through the fields and a stranger comes into view, I have a line of three dogs in front of me. The one in front is always Hollie. :?

I did have problems with Perro when Harry was a pup. :(
Like any pup Harry wanted to play with any dog he met but if a 'stranger' dog grumbled at Harry Perro went in like a steam train. 8O
It got to the point that when I saw a stranger dog coming up I used to put Perro on his lead just in case. :roll:
As Harry got to 12 months old or so Perro must have decided he was big enough to defend himself and the probem disappeared.

:D

:D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Diesel09 said:
I was mugged last year whilst walking him and he didn't even come over to see if i was alright despite me calling him :evil: 8O
:(
this is really strange!!!!!!!!

i don´t know how serious mine are...
( i don´t think so)
but they can be impressive
and this is enough

evelyn

?

·
0 Posts
Mine are Woosies :lol:.

Mojo used to run up to and bark at people she was scared of, although she never got very close to them. It took me a while to put a stop to that, as having a big black dog running up to you and barking ferociously can be darn scary. Now if she sees someone she is scared of, she runs back to me, sometimes hiding behind my legs, so I VERY much doubt she would stick up for me, as she can't even seem to stick up for herself :roll: :lol: .

The only time she ever acts protective, is when I have a pup with me and then like Perro, if another dog comes the old acid with HER baby, she will run in, barge them out of the way and bark. She has never done anything more than that though, although if she "thinks" they aren't to be trusted, she sometimes just growls. I discourage all of these behaviours though, as people will misinterpret it and think she is viscious, when nothing could be further from the truth really.

The only dog I ever had which I thought would stick up for me in a fight was my little Collie X Lottie, other than that, most would either run away and save their own skin, or wander over to all and sundry wagging their tails. But then if I had wanted a dog to protect me, I wouldn't have Labs or Poodles, I would chose a Guarding Breed, probably a Rottie or an OES (not recognised as Guarding Dogs, but all the ones I've met have been quietly protective of their family).

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Errr . . . . . Shadow can be seriously barky and growly with complete dogs as we found out on the Cornwall mini meet earlier this week. There was no biting fortunately and after being put on his lead a couple of times, he settled into a lovely walk with 2 LF members and one of thier sons. Rose finds him to be protective but I usually don't have problems at all unless I'm with the boys.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
EvelynH said:
Diesel09 said:
:(
this is really strange!!!!!!!!

i don´t know how serious mine are...
( i don´t think so)
but they can be impressive
and this is enough

evelyn

We got Diesel as a rescue dog. It was about 2 months after we got him when this happened. He was over by some trees having a good sniff when i was shouting him back to help me.
His recall skills aren't the best either. :roll:
I just put it down to him not being totally used to me yet at the time. :?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Lottie is quite protective of me when it's just us 2. She will always warn me (she just stops where she is and stares..nothing else and I have to say it's ok you can go past!) if a lone male is walking towards us..women are fine!
I think she's just frightened herself :lol: The biggest softy there is.
When it's me and OH she is fine.
Barbara

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are funny how they behave aren't they.

Penny will not let anyone or anything get too close to me, sometimes it is frustrating but at the end of the day I am sure that that dog would protect me with her life.

The other two are far too daft and chilled to even think about it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts