Labradors Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just know, when you think it’s right, there are those here who will support and listen.

I came home from shopping and found she’d been urinary incontinent. It was a strange colour. I’d already made an appointment to check it out but while I was putting the shopping away, she stood and urine poured from her. It was at that point my husband called our vet and let them know that it was time. We had a couple of hours to wait but we made it a good time. Lawn snuffle, treats. We got to the vets and she never made a fuss. I knew then she’d decided it was her time as normally she barked and growled.

Betty, 20 minutes before her final car ride. My Betty bear, matriarch and best friend.

View attachment 26714
What a lovely old girl - real soft spot for old labs.
Sorry for your loss.

I really feel for you, it's such a tough decision to make.
I went through the same with Lucan a few weeks ago. He was having more bad days than good, was restless and not sleeping well at night, having wobbly spells and had developed a wheeze. Yet he was still excited to go for a walk and would still instigate play with Ash. I made the decision on a hot sunny Saturday while having a bonfire in our field. This loyal, stubborn old dog was struggling to follow me up and down the field yet refusing to stop and rest, I realized then that he wasn't going to cope with the warmer weather and the extra outside activities. I booked the appointment on the Monday morning for the Thursday. :-( He was spoilt rotten in those last few days and went to sleep very peacefully at the vets with his beloved tennis ball in his mouth.
I have to say this was the first planned in advance euthanasia for me, all my previous dogs had been due to some sort of medical emergency. This was far nicer having the chance to spoil him and take those last videos and photos. He could probably have gone on for a few more weeks but I have no regrets. Rather a day too early than a day too late..
Thanks Mandy, it is tough, and sorry for your loss. Despite having dogs most of my life, it never gets easier and I have never had to make the decision. The first years were with my parents, then our last lab died naturally.

It's hard as it's different for each person and dog. I count myself incredibly lucky as my old girl went downhill so quickly, within 48 hours I knew it was the time, even though at the back of my head I was hoping there was some chance there was a magic drug that might help her, but in the end she had a problem with her heart, and age had just caught up too much, the vets were amazed her heart hadn't already given up. You will know, and don't doubt yourself, better a day too soon than a day too late. So when you do know, make sure you get the best cuddles and memories to take with you xx
We will, thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The hardest decision we have ever had to make.

We are all completely heartbroken and miss him so much.

R.I.P Enzo

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
My heart is broken for you. I’ve said goodbye recently too and it never gets easier.

I have to thank you though, I’ve never had a male before, and not being male myself, it’s prompted me to find out more about the male dog anatomy. About what’s normal and what’s not. I’m planning to ask my vet to show me exactly what is what.

So thank you Enzo, run free and go find Betty xxx

Reactions: MarkH

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So sorry. Run free Enzo. x

Reactions: MarkH

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
So sorry to read this, it's the hardest thing we do for our lovely companions, even when we know it's the right thing to do for them it doesn't make it any easier xx

21 - 27 of 27 Posts