Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Can I please ask another question about the dreaded anal glands. Is it OK to keep Cassie on Pro-fibre continually (like for months on end)?

Every time I stop giving her Pro-Fibre twice a day (just one scoop twice daily), she gets problems in the botty department again. If I keep her on the pro-fibre then she is fine. She already has Weetabix/All Bran for her breakfast plus lots of fruit and veg throughout the day so I honestly think she is getting plenty of fibre in her diet naturally.

I can't give her raw bones as she gets the runs very badly on them, or with any meat products.

Thanks all.

Wendy & Cass

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chewy has been on them on and off for about 3 months now and def does better on them. I have been wondering the same thing as you, whether its safe to use all the time.... what brand do you use if you don't mind me asking? I have been using Yumpro.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StormDust said:
Chewy has been on them on and off for about 3 months now and def does better on them. I have been wondering the same thing as you, whether its safe to use all the time.... what brand do you use if you don't mind me asking? I have been using Yumpro.
Cassie has Protexin Pro-Fibre pellets - I get them from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protexin-Pro-Fibre-Dogs-500-g/dp/B00BEXP5MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392914994&sr=8-1&keywords=pro-fibre

I just mix a scoop in with her Weetabix in the morning and another scoop in with her tea but as soon as I cut her back down then the glands start up again.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I use the Pro-Fiber intermittently as Excited Luna tends to get a little anal glandy!

I can't see any problem with them being on it long-termalhough the directions say for as long as necessary or vet advises. Perhaps double-check with the vet (take the tub) next time you go along for something else.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Animed Direct are much cheaper than Amazon for the Protexin Pro-Fibre, £9.50 a tub compared to £13.90 on Amazon :D

Mac has it most of the time, does help things 8O

?

·
0 Posts
Una was in Profibre constantly for about 3 years and it never did her any harm. She only stopped having it when we finally found a food which agreed with her. Although she had tummy issues rather than botty problems. :wink:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
_Jules_ said:
Una was in Profibre constantly for about 3 years and it never did her any harm. She only stopped having it when we finally found a food which agreed with her. Although she had tummy issues rather than botty problems. :wink:
What food do you give her now (hoping desperately that it isn't raw)? I would try anything to help prevent her having her gland problems - she hates it - keeps trying to get away from her rear end. I have to take her for a botty wash and talc in the end to keep her happy.

?

·
0 Posts
What food do you give her now (hoping desperately that it isn't raw)? I would try anything to help prevent her having her gland problems - she hates it - keeps trying to get away from her rear end. I have to take her for a botty wash and talc in the end to keep her happy.
She is now on Royal Canin Sensible. It's the best her tum has been since she left me to go into training.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try sprinkling a level dessertspoon of bran on each meal.
It's worked for two of our Labs over the years.
Our vet recommended it years ago as a cheap and effective way of
relieving the problem.
It hardens the stools and then the gland clears itself at each 'passing'.
Hope that helps.

P.S. It's just solved the problem for our son's Jack Russell. He used a teaspoonful.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Biggles said:
Try sprinkling a level dessertspoon of bran on each meal.
Is that better than All Bran Biggles? For breakfast Cass has a Weetabix and handful of All Bran.

A colleague at work told me that a lot of dogs under 2 have gland problems and they grow out of it. Not sure if it is true though.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
teejayw said:
I would use the bran powder stuff or Pro Fibre, All Bran has a lot of sugar in it.
Thanks everyone for your help. I have never looked at the contents of All Bran, presuming it was just that with nothing added!

I will get her some pure bran powder tomorrow and continue on with the Pro-Fibre, then speak to our vet when she next visits - just to check that it is safe to continue giving Pro-Fibre long term.

Last time she went to the vets they did mention that if things do continue she may need an operation on her glands but I am hoping to control it with diet if we can. Apart from the glands, I have her tum nicely settled on her food and, as long as I don't mess about with her food or give her meaty products, then she is diarrhoea free - thankfully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts