Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fuming :evil: I pick up the Sunday paper and there is Prince Edward beating a black Labrador across the back!! Now I personally don't agree with blood sports but this is a free country and I respect people's rights and have many friends who go out shooting but I know not one of them would ever take a stick to their dogs. It's disgusting it's difficult enough working in rescue and seeing dreadful cruelty cases each year without a Prince of the realm doing it and if he is not prosecuted ( which I very much doubt he will be!!) it gives every other nasty little yobs carte blanche to beat a dog Labrador or not. I wish all Labrador Rescues in the country would write to Prince Edward complaining and get in touch with their local RSPCA demanding something be done about it. These are beautiful precious dogs and to see one cowering in fear is heartbreaking. Come on all rescues and all forum members lets get writing and phoning don't let him get away with it just because his Mother is the Queen there should never be one rule for one and another for others. Sorry about the rant but I am VERY ANGRY.
Jean Henman.
Area Co-ordinator.
Labrador Retriever Rescue Southern England.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Labradorsslave said:
I pick up the Sunday paper and there is Prince Edward beating a black Labrador across the back!!
Jean, do you have a link for this as the photos I have seen today online in the media do not show any physical contact with the dogs. There are comments that he was using the stick to break up a fight between two dogs on the shoot.

This is the article I've seen:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1102099/Prince-Dog-Beater-Outrage-Edward-repeatedly-lashes-gundogs-4ft-stick.html

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
"The public will certainly be no more tolerant of dogs being picked on because they don’t play their obedient walk-on part in this sick spectacle.
‘He certainly appears to have lost his temper and was acting impulsively without restraint.
But we can’t expect high manners in the context of a sport that is about killing animals for pleasure"

When I first read the article I was up in arms about the thought of Edward beating dogs, but infact, when you read it again, nowhere does it say he made contact with the dogs and judging by the biased way the article has been written, I think it's more about anti-shooting than anything.

If the 2 dogs were going into a real fight, then distracting them by using a stick to break it up (and I don't mean for one minute actually hitting them with it) seems to be not unreasonable to me.

I would have had to be there to see what happened before I made a real opinion about it (or seen photos that left me in no doubt)

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
831 Posts
stick

The dogs looked as though they were afraid of the stick so maybe it was not the first time it had been used :x Despicable behaviour.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I give up. On the forums on the daily papers most people think it's all a storm in a tea cup and it's OK to hit a dog which says a lot for this wonderful country of ours. Now the story is the stick was just waved at the dogs :!: How come there's a picture of the stick landing on the dogs back???? If you Google Prince Edward under news and the Daily Mirror there's the pic it's also in the Express which I have. Anyway I'm to bed think I have Flu and will cuddle my beautiful yellow boy (not my husband cos I think he has Flu too!!!) besides Labradors are better :D
Jean Henman.
Area Co-ordinator LRRSE.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Imagine swapping Prince Edward's pic with a pic of a young chav on a council estate holding a stick up threatening two dogs fighting over an item. How would you react to the young boys behaviour? It would seem shocking and despicable. Would it be accredited to ignorance/bullying/violence/lack of sound parenting?

My point is this - Prince Edward should know better. He is very conscious that the press watch him and he is, therefore, advocating such behaviour both to young people and to people who train and keep dogs.

I agree that the press are quick to be negative about field sports, however, I am shocked that people think Edward's behaviour is acceptable here and I think that the press are quite right to point out his appaling lack of judgement. These are well trained, well bred dogs with support staff (paid for by the tax payer) to assist him on his shoot. If he had a problem, he had a number of options at his disposal to assist his safe retrieve of the bird. He has been equally irresponsible in his use of his gun. He has NO excuse to mistreat a dog and cannot afford the luxury of a slip up when he freely enjoys the benefits as well as the downsides of life in the public eye.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think he actually did hit the dogs, the article stated he hit out at them.

I know physical violence is not necesary with training gun dogs and many working bred dogs are so sensitive that simply a harsh word will have them cowering and flinching (which would explain why these dogs were behaving this way) However many old school working type folk are very harsh on there working dogs and see this is the only way to prevent things like dogs fighting over a bird which is totally unacaptable from a gun dog.

I am not condoning the hitting of any dog, however I feel that the papers have really blown this storey out of proportion. They also mention in the same article the fact that the queen was photograhped ringing the neck of a pheasant on a shoot a few years ago..... I mean for god sake, I would hope anyone on a shoot faced with a near dead bird would do the same and not leave ther poor thing suffereng, and personally i have even more respect for the queen knowing she is prepared to do such a thing and doesnt have someone standing by to do the dirty deed for her.

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Thing is Tracy is there any proof that the photos are of the same incident? If the dog had retrieved the bird then it was obviously not fighting so there was no need to seperate them? Papers have been known to "Edit" things and the Mail is, in my opinion, one of the worst.

Think about this, two dogs are fighting and in one hand you are carrying a gun and the other a stick, what are you going to do, because obviously you must do something. On second thoughts, dont think about it because at a time like that it is an instinctive reaction, not premeditated.

Every year we get this kind of rubbish served up and every year people fall for it! I would never hurt my dogs, but yes, if they were fighting and I had my hands full then yes, I would use a stick to seperate them and would figure that if the two dogs had not harmed each other then I'd done a good job.

Regards, John

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I would use a stick to seperate two dogs, it seems a much safer choice than using an arm or a foot. I hasten to add I wouldn't beat them senseless of course but would make contact if the situation needed it.

It matters not to me who he is or whether he did or didn't hit the dogs if the reason behind it was a dog fight. How are we to know the circumstances that surround it from a few naff photos :?

I have to admit that I would do that just out on an ordinary walk too (if i carried a stick) I would think it even more important you break a fight up quickly on a shoot with guns going off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets all give Prince Edward a pat on the back and say there's a naughty boy don't do it again! I have read on this forum the papers have made it up, the pictures have been doctored, to well in circumstances you have to do this and that. I have had two Labradors having a real barney about a piece of food did I hit one no I shouted for all I was worth grabbed a broom and waved it at them at no time did I bring the broom down across their backs. My Labradors were very well trained as I know the Royal family's are and I have always found a voice raised works wonders. I have a picture of Prince Edward with the stick landing across the dogs back but Oh dear silly me that picture must have been doctored or taken at another time, or maybe it's me I am reacting too strongly what a fool. :? Yes I get very angry because working in rescue we get the dogs coming in who have been hit and like the dog in the photo they are always cowering. I shall write to Prince Edward and anyone else I can to complain I so agree with Mosey who said about the hoodie doing the same thing. I don't care what anyone says Prince Edward should have known better aren't we supposed to look up to the Royals as pillars of society :!: Anyway you will be pleased to know my rant has ended as the phone has just gone I have a vicious puppy to sort out he's 4months old and they want him out as he nipped a child's ankles at Christmas :!: He is going to a foster home while we sort him out a forever home I really despair of people but should be used to it after 15 years of doing rescue. Poor little darling they have shut him in a shed for last two days in this weather. I hope he is OK am very worried after talking to the owners :( I'm full of Flu but he must come out bless him. Hope he is alright.
Jean Henman.
Area Co-ordinator LRRSE

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Well! Free speech lives!

Please cut out the vitriol Jean and start talking common sense. Have pictures never been doctored? What about the RSPCA's "Mountain of Dogs" or the RSPCA's "Horses on hooks" To name but two!

Regards, John

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Nobody is intending any of this personally to you Jean. :wink: Hope the pup is OK. You people do a wonderful job with rescues, and I respect that.

It is very risky to take anything the tabloids say as gospel and I am amazed by the number of people who seem willing to accept the Daily Mail or Daily Express/Mirror stories without question. They specifically edit stories to sensationalise them, because like it or not sensationalism is what sells newspapers. :twisted: The camera can and does lie, and yes photos have been doctored before if it suits. As John says, it was famously done by the RSPCA. Ironically, they are now leading the "investigation" here. :roll:

For every story the papers tell, there is always another untold one. :wink:

For that reason alone I refuse to jump to conclusions and will be writing to no-one. The only thing we can ever be sure of is that we will never have all the facts.

Helen.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I still firmly hold the opinion that people who are in a position of public responsibility and who are well aware that they are in the public eye should be particularly mindful of the influence their actions will have on society, particularly on the young. With that in mind, Prince Edward should have exercised more caution in his handling of his dogs.

He has sent the message out to the masses that it is ok to take a stick to a dog in certain circumstances - how many people will be indiscriminate about exercising that method now?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
The media share much of that responsibility too though. They are responsible for what they publish and the slant/spin they put on it.

That affects what is put across to the general public and how it is interpreted too.

If they had not been trumpeting away as they have then the types of people who might be influenced into thinking it is OK to beat dogs would know nothing about this particular incident, if indeed there WAS an incident in the first place.

Helen.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
mindful of the influence their actions will have on society, particularly on the young. With that in mind, Prince Edward should have exercised more caution in his handling of his dogs.
I agree but I really feel more anger and equal responsibilty for the above lies with the press and their sensationalism.
Our tabloids are appalling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts