Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to predict the eventual adult size of a puppy?
My two boys Benny and Max are 19 weeks old (just over 4 months) they were born in 4th June.
Benny weighs 20.1 kg and Max weighs 17.4 kg.
Is it possible to predict their eventual adult weight at this stage of their development? They look about the right weight, not too far or too thin.
Are they about the right weight for their age? There does seem to be quite a difference between them.

Premium Member
First, are you mad? 馃ぃ馃ぃ
A lot would depend on their breeding. My boy was about the same weight as Benny at the same age. Finished he鈥檚 41/42 kilos, taller than breed standard and taller than his sire. He鈥檚 firmly, what you鈥檇 describe in the Uk, show bred.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I mad? Yes I think I am. Why else would I get myself two Labrador puppies at the same time? Especially as I already have their three year old sister, Livvy and a thirteen year old little Heinz 57 Terrier, Scrappy Boy.
Livvy is not very big, just 26kg but she was from a different sure to the puppies.

Administrator
Not really. Big pups generally go on to make big dogs. But that's not 100% certain.

Premium Member
Freddie was 515g at birth鈥up, big! He weighed 6.36 kilos at 7 weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freddie was 515g at birth鈥up, big! He weighed 6.36 kilos at 7 weeks.
I've just checked and they are only 18 weeks not 19.
Benny weighed 7.6kg at 8 weeks when the vet weighed them when they had their vaccination and Max was 6.1kg.
so We may be in for a couple of largish adult dogs 馃槻

Administrator
As I said above, basically you cant. The chances are that a big pup will grow into a big dog and a small pup will grow into a small dog, but thats no guarantee I'm afraid.

Registered
I don't think there's anyway to tell.
Ash was one of the biggest pups from his litter when we picked him up at 8wks old. Now aged 4 yrs he's a fairly dainty 29 kg, yet one of his brothers weighs in at 38 kg!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts