Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

Sonny is doing very well and he is 12weeks on Monday coming.

His house training is doing very good and in fact tomorrow will be 1 week without an accident. On Friday the 13th he had two accidents before 10am and that was his first in nearly a 5 days also.

However; How do I get him to actually show me signs of when he needs to potty and actually wants to go outside? or Will this come with time?

Presently; I'm still just taking him out with timings and appropriate times I feel he'll do it. Every time I have been giving him the command and almost every time have been rewarding him with a treat.

In the house may it be we are just sitting in the living room; or after a sleep or walking about the kitchen.

On a fair number of occasions I can re-call him being fine and showing no signs of needing to go potty; but I take him outside anyway and as soon as I put him down on the grass he'll go spinning crazy and go immediately within 5seconds and sometimes without me even saying the command word beforehand to get him going and only during. So; I puzzle of why he looking like he was bursting but never showed any signs indoors that he wanted to go outside?

In the first two weeks I had been carrying him out; now I sometimes carry out him and sometimes walk him to the door with his leash on; ... If he walk; we'll get to the back door and he' won't budge a muscle as if saying no way I don't want to go outside.. but if I lift him down the one step and walk him to the grass he go again immediately as if he was bursting.

Is a fact that the cue command is making him Go Go fast or Is he still a little too young and I'm still doing the thinking for him??

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
How do I get him to actually show me signs of when he needs to potty and actually wants to go outside? or Will this come with time?
I dont think it's something you can teach. It's something they "Develop" with time. But it is something you can help with. Usually, If you are in the habit of taking them out to toilet it starts with them standing by the door. It's then essential that you take them out THAT INSTANT because effectively what you are saying to our dog is "Yes, I understand what you are trying to tell me." and of course this is sowing the seeds recognisable communication. From this small beginning all sorts of canine/human communication begins!

Regards, John

PS, I train going on command right from day one. My command is "Be quick" said all as one word.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Molly is almost 16 weeks and she started to ask to go out about 2 weeks ago. I think it was when she got too heavy for me to carry (we have steps up to our back garden) that she started to really understand how she could get to the garden.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At first we took Tarka out on a schedule for a "be quick!". We put a bell on a ribbon on the door that we generally let her out of and every time she went out we jiggled the bell. It didn't take her long at all to connect the dots and then start to stand by the door and nudge the bell herself to let us know she wanted out. That was great because we could hear it if we were in another room. The only problem was that she soon realised that it let her out whether she needed a pee or not :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cooper just stands in front of the door quietly, which is a bit annoying because if I don't see him, I can't know how long he's been standing there for! He whines for pretty much everything else, so I don't know why he hasn't tried making some noise when he needs to go out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buddy is 12 (and a half) weeks old and (touch wood) understands that outside is where is does his "business" - that's also the key phrase we use.

I was taking him out into the garden every 45-60 mins and telling him to do his "business"

He soon got the hang of it and now sits at the back door patiently waiting, he then whines if no one notices and eventually barks furiously that no one has let him out.
However as someone else has stated he likes it out in the garden so now he requests us to let him out whether or not he want's to do his "business"

This morning I've been up and down like a yo-yo letting him in and out. He's sitting on the step outside looking in at me now waiting to come back in!

Don't ignore it though, not even once.
One time I'd just had him outside for a pee, he came in and ten minutes later he whined to go out and I ignored it thinking he was bluffing. That evening he pee'd 3 or 4 times in the kitchen and living room and even had a poop inside :(
Almost as if he was like "well what do you expect, I asked to go out, you ignored it so I don't know what I am supposed to do!!?"
Anyway, lesson learned, we never ignore him now AND he plays that to his advantage the little bugger :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Just as a comment from the other side ;-) Teaching a dog to give you a signal if it wants to go out rather than ideally hold it till you next let him out can backfire dramatically if your dog misreads this as JUST letting you know when he fancies going out in the garden for just about anything, including just being bored etc etc.

I have several clients who deeply regret praising the dog for whining, barking, bashing the door or whatever to 'gove them a sign' as the dog will do it over and over again JUST to go out, they don't always associate it JUST with 'emptying'.

So my dogs have and always will have a toilet word as puppies so they go on command WHEN I let them out, and yes we've had the odd accident over the years where they have gone because they aren't taught to TELL me they need to.... but its rare, generally they wait till they get let out.

I can't even begin to tell you the story of the woman who taught her lab to ring a bell by the back door!!!!!! It was like a Greenwich ladies bell ringers club in their house when it fancied a bit of a hooli about ;-) ;-)

Di

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Minnie is 2 and doesn't ask, she looks at me. Not easy with lights off and attention on the tv of an evening but mostly she goes out at set times.

I believe that if they trust that you will take them out regularly then they learn to hold it better. I am disabled and diabetic so food and medication schedules are pretty static, so she knows when one thing starts to happen the trip outside will come next.

Min's word is lulu ! She knows what it means which is the important thing.

Mandy

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I've never sought for my dogs to tell me they want to go out. When they're being toilet trained as pups (or older rescues) you need to keep on the ball and take them out often enough/at the right times to avoid them toileting inside and by the time they're toilet trained, you get to know how often and when they need to go, so for me at least, there's no need for them to know how to ask me.

As mentioned, if you have a dog who knows how to ask when they want to go out, they may end up asking for 'out' at all sorts of times when they don't need the loo. Daisy tells me when she wants to go out, but it's just something she does, I've never tried to teach her - and wouldn't have. She does have a bit of a different sound for the 'Mum, I really NEED to go out' than the 'I'd like to go out'.

I'd keep doing what you're doing with regard to taking him out regularly, introducing your cue word when he's actually in the process of going, until he knows it for sure, and then praising him once he's done. Although my dogs get plenty of treats, I don't tend to use them for toilet training puppies as I wonder if the treats distract them from going/finishing properly, so I tend to use praise only for toilet training the rescue pups I've had :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts