Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had kept away from the beach since Friday due to weather.

Brief calm today before incoming weather so just went for a short 20 min beach walk.

Jumped over a beach groin to look back & see Harley licking what looked like a huge snowball on the beach. .........Got him away from it and took a sample. Rancid smelling grease/lard substance.

Came home googled and found this info

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510334/Pet-owners-warned-decomposing-fat-balls-washing-beaches-dog-ate-one.html

I have called local council

I will inform local vets and keep a close eye on Harley for rest of the day.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be keeping a close eye on him until I go to work later this afternoon. Fortunately my daughter will be home this afternoon so he wont be alone. He didn't have a white greasy face afterwards so hoping it was more lick than hurried eating in the few brief seconds before I got to it and stopped him.

I am very vigilant when out but it just shows how turning back on our dogs for a few seconds can result in exposure to risks.

Think I will avoid walking him on beach for a while unless on a lead.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Hope Harley is ok. Are you in an area where this substance has already been identified in the press? Just thinking about other dog owners being informed, if it's not already been publicised.

Worrying stuff :-(

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have notified local vet and council...............was considering local paper albeit not wanting to be named and published

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Thankyou for the "heads up" on this nasty substance! This needs sharing all over the country I think. Its bad enough walking around local estates since the new refuse laws came in to force by me in S Wales. rubbish dumped everywhere and no one takes responsibility due to the costings!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
It is worrying, that's why I was wondering if you are in an area where the risk has already been publicised, so that other owners in your area are aware there may be a problem on the beach they're walking on.

Some reports have mentioned palm oil identified as the substance and I have read of a number of dogs having died :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts