Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions in this part of LF :D

It's not regarding Bailey (she is spayed) but regarding a 5 year old bitch that we are in the process of rehoming (thread about it: http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-64768.html)

She had pups approx 6 weeks ago, and has just been separated from them at the dogs home, and obviously still has milk and a saggy tum

It was quite a large litter

I don't know if she has ever had a litter previously but the info the dogs home suggests that she hasn't....this litter is her first

She is not overweight but more of a stocky build than Bailey is

I'm just wondering how long a saggy tum takes to bounce back usually?? And (I know this may sound like a silly question) does exercise help with this?

Also, how long would you suggest before she is spayed?? I asked this question at the home and they said at least 12 weeks after the birth, so in about another 6 weeks time.....I'm in no rush to do this though as it is going to take time to settle her in etc but it is something that we will do once she is ready.....I just wanted some other opinions on this really

Thanks in advance :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well done on giving a home to the labrador bitch. :D

You will be surprised how quickly her dangly bits go back up. Once she has stopped feeding the pups it will not take long. Good food but not too much of it, plenty of exercise and if she likes water plenty of swimming and she will soon regain her shape.

I agree with what you have been told 3 months after having the pups would be a good time to spay, as it will also be 3 months before her next season. Half way between is the best time.

I am sure she will have a wonderful life with you and Bailey.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Just to add one thing to Jill above, personally, I have found how quickly they spring back up tends to vary according to how much exercise they have been given whilst the pups were with them. Bitches exercised almost normally, practically from the day pups are born, seem to recover their figure far quicker than those kept home from the 'worry' of infection etc etc... I only add that because chances are if she has been in kennels throughout, she won't of had much exercise other than the occasional lead walk or once or twice round the exercise field, so she *may* (well) take longer to regain her shape, if she does ever completely...

Di

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jill & Di :D

Di, you are right that she won't have had much exercise, it's really just a short lead walk each day, maybe a short time in the off lead area every now and then......I can't wait to see her running full pelt with Bailey when she's able to (providing Weds meeting of dogs goes well :D )

Thanks again for your help :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts