Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

Our lovely girl Nala, 8 months old, developed a limp about 2 months ago. Our first trip to the vets we were given metacam and told to crate rest for 48 hrs and then slowly introduce exercise with a follow up 10 days later - went back 10 days later for our follow up appointment and he was really happy with her progress and told us to just continue with increasing exercise. 2 days after this appointment she started to limp again and it's not looking good in my opinion, she is extremely stiff and struggles to get up when she has been resting so we have another appointment coming up and I believe this time we will be referred for a scan to get some answers.

In the meantime I wanted to ask about anything I can do to help her. Supplements, exercise, diet? She is a lovely weight, 18kgs so weight management isn't an issue, but I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do to give her the best outcome and quality of life?

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Is she from KC registered parents with good elbow grades? Obviously there's no guarantee, but a good breeder would try to look at the estimated breeding value for both hips and elbows, and stack the odds in favour of good hips/elbows for pups. I would also contact the breeder and let them know of your suspicions, hopefully, if it's something they can prevent from happening with future litters they will do.

As for supplements, my lot only get started on yumove later on in life, and it won't really stop any problems if she's potentially got a problem already, they may just ease it. Hydrotherapy is good for this sort of problem, as the water takes the weight off their joints, and some insurance does pay for this on the recommendation of a vet. As for diet, good quality kibble will contain natural supplements in there, and a raw diet is high in natural glucosamine and chondroitin, along with many other ingredients that are beneficial overall for our dogs. Also look at golden paste, your vet may suggest other supplements as there are quite a few on the market, some require prescription, some don't.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Of course it could be ED, but I wonder about Panosteitis, the age is right. ED is difficult to diagnose correctly without ex-rays, and even then many vets would not recognise it. Same with Panosteitis, though with this a clue is that it often appears to change leg. PLT used to be the usual treatment, to the extent that it was known colloquially as "Poorly legs tablets!" But it's rarely used these days.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
If it is pano then Rhus Tox helps ease the symptoms, have a chat with the vet and see what they think.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Really hope it's Pano and passes.

If not and it is dreaded ED then.... don't panic and fall apart like I did!
Look at the sticky threads from Luna -- "Living with Luna's ED" she was an amazing help and inspiration when our Judy got diagnosed.
A few bullets from me:-
Keep the weight down to absolute minimum
Don't over exercise but ensure good activity to keep muscles building
No jumping at all - not in or out of car, on or off furniture, for a ball etc, etc
Supplements - we've used loads.... green lipped mussel, Senoquin, Devils Claw, Mobile Bones etc, etc. I think they've all really helped and helped that we've mixed them up
Hydro - love it. Swim whenever you can
Memory foam beds - our ground floor looks like a shisha bar! We have good quality beds everywhere
No stairs - avoid wherever you can.
Stay positive!!! Judy was about 5 years old when hers flared up... we've had our dodgy moments but she's at the grand age of 12 and half now and not missed out on much in her life

Good luck and I really hope it's growing pains or a soft tissue issue. IF it is then I'd still follow my advice above as those joints need looking after!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts