Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, everyone.
I've only just been able to get back on the forum again after it went down. :roll:

Is it true your not supposed to feed pork to lab puppies? If True, can you tell me why? My pup is fond of the odd sausage. :?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Terrance

Theres no problem with feeding pork to dogs. Raw feeders utilise various parts of the pig but I would hesitate to feed sausages because of what is added to them (with the exception of some very small pieces for use as training treats). Likewise steer clear of things like processed pigs ears, they contain far too much fat and other unpleasant additives

Most dogs enjoy a fresh pigs trotter but probably not advisable for a young pup whose stomach can be a bit delicate!

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Terrance, probably coming into this post a bit late. I utilise the whole pig, just not all at one sitting lol. :lol: Some dogs have more delicate tums than other and pork is very fatty. this sometimes upsets the more delicate dogs and just a little pork should be given if this happens. I never feed processed meat, ie; sausages, burgers etc. but pure fresh meat. My dogs, thankfully have cast iron stomaches, and so far pork has not upset their systems whatsoever, they get the whole pig, including trotters, ears (ONLY uncooked freshly chopped off the pig) and if I am lucky, or the dogs are, that is, my butcher will get me a whole head. It is perfectly ok to give your Lab a pigs ear, but NEVER ever give those roasted ones from the pet shops. My lot also love trotters, I get the large ones which still have the second thigh attatched. Again, fresh, raw from the butchers, never cooked or roasted from pet shop

Sorry, I never looked to see how old your pup is, but as Nigel has said, gently does it, and please remember if giving trotters etc, please do not leave pup on thier own, always supervise.

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
You are a few years late Terrance. Yes, this was always said years ago because of the risks of raw pork carrying parasites. In the same way it was always said that pork should always be WELL cooked for humans! But modern farming methods have eliminated that risk these days. I must say though, I still prefer my pork well cooked!

Regards, John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts