Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruby's had the runs quite badly today, and this evening threw up her dinner about an hour or so after eating it. She's ok in herself - a bit lethargic but still waggy tailed and happy to have a cuddle.

I'm pretty sure I know what's caused it - my own stupidity! She finished off a rawhide bone this morning, and then when the washing machine repair man came I gave her a raw bone to occupy her. I should have taken it off her sooner. Lesson learned.

I've been making sure she has plenty of water, but wasn't sure if it was ok to give her her normal food in the morning or if I should give her something else instead. She usually has a frozen kong with her kibble and a bit of chicken in it, followed by a dish of her kibble (softened up a bit) with more chicken.

Should we just give her her usual brekkie do you think, or give her something a bit more bland?

(Oh, and obviously if she carries on with the runs/sickness tomorrow I'll be straight down the vets!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Poor Ruby!!

No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say hope she's better soon!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Poor Ruby :( ...hope she has a good night...I would prob give her something bland in the morning, if she is ok over night :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, thanks Anita and Jacky. I forgot to ask what sort of thing constitutes bland? Not having had a sickly pup before, I'm not entirely sure whether something like scrambled egg would be good (obviously it's fine for me when I'm ill but I'm not so sure about Ruby!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Bland is usually chicken, if she has the runs thru the night I`d miss her brekkie to give her tum a chance to settle down, if she`s ok overnight then as said just bland and smaller than usual breakfast, just the chicken I`d say again so her tum doesn`t have a lot to work with and can settle back to normal :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mary, don't know why I didn't think of just chicken!

She's just gone for a walk with OH, so he's under strict instructions to report back on her poo and behaviour! :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I have given Milo scrambled egg before after a poorly tum...was alway told eggs are binding lol!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who expressed concern/offered advice. Ruby seems fine this morning. Nothing untoward in her crate overnight, poos seem to be back to normal this morning, so we decided to give her a normal brekkie and see how it goes. If she doesn't keep it down I'll either skip her dinner or just give her chicken.

She's currently being naughty, jumping up and putting two paws on the top of her crate because she can see her favourite rawhide bone up there. I daren't let her have it....not today, anyway!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Oh dear! Luna gives me a fright and now Ruby gives you one. It sounds like she's feeling better :roll: :lol:

I hope it turns out to be 'just' too much of a good thing and she continues doing well today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Laura. She's flopped out on the futon behind me now. I think she might have over-done it a bit this morning with all the running around and being naughty! Either that or she's sulking because I wouldn't let her have her bone.

Glad to hear Luna's ok now, too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh. She's just keeping us all on our toes, I reckon!

Your Ruby looks just like mine in that pic. Big paws and all!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear Ruby is feeling better, seems like it was an overdose of bone that did it, the marrow can cause diahrrea when they have too much of it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mary, I'm sure that's what it was as this bone was different to others she's had before, and seemed to have a big old chunk of marrow in the middle that she was really enjoying getting out! I've thrown the rest of it (and the other half) away, and I'll stick to the smaller ones that have less marrow in them in future. I'm also going to follow Fee's example of limiting them to 20 minutes at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts