Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hii, my poor 2 year old lab cut his pad quite deeply running through reeds, the vet stitchec it and it healed well in a week but split open again the day after the bandage came off. The vet is now treating it with manuka honey - getting it redressed every 2-3 days but he's not been for walk for over 2 weeks with 2 more to go. He's miserable - any ideas or suggestions on how to cheer him up or tips on pad injuries would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Manuka honey is fantastic stuff and if it's being used then it wont be long before the pad heals, my boy had a chest wound from a lump removal and it was constantly splitting open, we used Manuka honey for 2 weeks and it completely healed up, the wound was on his chest by his armpit, so every time he walked he pulled the stitches apart.

All you can do is keep him comfortable, you can get him a nice raw marrow bone to chew, but keeping pressure off the paw is what will prevent the wound splitting open too much.

You could do some on lead 'find it' exercises so you are controlling speed and time, so hide a ball or some treats and then on a long lead/line get him to use his nose to find it. Maybe do a couple of those 'finds' every few hours to keep his mind occupied.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I have done a few little bits of training, and took him to class just to get him out of the house -he laid on his mat getting lots of fuss. It's his mental wellbeing that worries me more, he's become very subdued & lethargic. The vet had no answer for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts