Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saffy went on her first proper walk post season and cut her pad open in the process.

Hubby took her to the fields and all was going well until she started licking her paw, so he had a look and saw it was bleeding and she was limping. He brought her home and called me at work to ask what he should do. I told him to clean it up and put a bandage on it till I got home so we could reassess the situation.

As he was rooting in the doggy first aid kit, he glanced into the lounge to see blood everywhere (that's how he described it anyway)! So he ended up calling the vet and carrying her the mile-ish down the road to get her seen to.

Although I've not seen it myself, the vet phoned me, because my hubby can't make a decision and needed me to make it! Apparently the cut is pretty deep and right across the pad. We had two options. 1) stitch the pad under anaesthetic/sedation, or 2) clean it all up, dress it, and see how it heals on its own with a view of stitching it in a few days if it's not healing well.

I opted to have it cleaned and dressed, and I have to go back with her on Wednesday to have it looked at again, redressed, and possibly stitched depending on how it's looking. We've got a week of antibiotics, and also she had an antibiotic and pain relief injection today.

Poor girl has just had 4 weeks of zero walks whilst in season, and a week of short regular on-lead walks building up to our normal routine, and today was her first off lead since the day before her season started. She'll now be out of action for another 2-3 weeks at least whilst this pad injury heals! Ugh!

Positives - She was by herself with the vet when they cleaned up her pad and dressed it, and apparently came out of the room all happy. Those of you that have read previous posts of mine will realise how amazing this is, since Saffy was terrified of people!

Another positive was that the vet bill was about a quarter of what I expected! An appointment within about 10 minutes of calling them, some fusses from a couple of vets and receptionists and lots of treats undoubtedly, a cleaned and dressed paw, antibiotics for a week, 2 injections, and an hour of their time...£42.80-something! I was very happy with that!

Third positive...Humphrey has been so calm around her! We've kept the crate up in the lounge and he's just taken himself off there most of the afternoon/evening and entertained himself with a couple of chew toys! Of course, he's had lots of attention too and we've played with him, but he's been so calm surprisingly!

Tonight, although she's been very quiet and even more snuggly that usual, Saffy is very settled, has eaten a few treats and her tea, had a game of bitey face with Humphrey whilst lying on her back, and is back to sleeping! She isn't bearing any weight on that paw at all (which is good for now, until the healing starts), and is having a bit of a hard time walking, or doing her business, but overall, she seems a lot perkier than I expected! She doesn't seem to be in pain unless she is trying to walk either, so all good!

Negatives - Obviously Saffy getting hurt. And our weekend plans scuppered! We planned on going to the beach and also visiting a place called Astley Park which is supposed to be great for dog walking. We may still take Humphrey to Astley Park and leave Saffy home, but the beach is a no go because Saffy would have to be on her own too long so I'm not doing that.

Our neighbour walked up to the field with her dog this evening and said she spotted a broken vodka bottle just off the path with a bit of blood on it, so I think that's possibly the culprit :( Poor girl! Our neighbour has picked it up and put it out of the way or something. Not sure exactly, but hopefully no other dogs will be hurt by it.

It's not been a good week really. I broke a tooth, which I need to get filled when I can get in at the dentist (next available appointment is at the beginning of May and I have half a tooth that is sharp and beginning to hurt when I eat), my car was broken into, and now this! Don't they say these things come in 3's?Hopefully that's my lot for a while now, and I'm expecting a lottery win to make up for it! :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I know where I'd like to stick that broken vodka bottle - preferably whilst the owner was sober :evil: :evil: :evil:

Seems to me that dog cuts seem to always look worse than they are.

Amusing side story -- friend of mine had his black lab bitten on the ear by a Wiemy the other week. Wouldnt stop bleeding. Got him home and in bathroom for a clean up... Unfortunately labs, like most dogs, do like a good head shake!! Within 2 minutes he said his bathroom looked like a scene from Physco!! £100 for a couple of stitches. Nice work

Hope all goes well with Saffy

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DJGoody said:
I know where I'd like to stick that broken vodka bottle - preferably whilst the owner was sober :evil: :evil: :evil:

Seems to me that dog cuts seem to always look worse than they are.

Amusing side story -- friend of mine had his black lab bitten on the ear by a Wiemy the other week. Wouldnt stop bleeding. Got him home and in bathroom for a clean up... Unfortunately labs, like most dogs, do like a good head shake!! Within 2 minutes he said his bathroom looked like a scene from Physco!! £100 for a couple of stitches. Nice work

Hope all goes well with Saffy
Usually it's pretty clean on the field. Perhaps the odd plastic bottle, but I've never seen any glass or anything up there. I'm pretty certain someone had dropped the vodka bottle, but we have had pretty bad winds recently, so I can understand there being a bit more rubbish than usual.

I have seen the blood patches on my carpet, and there is a fair amount. I've cleaned all I can and will drag the carpet cleaner out tomorrow! My hubby has such a weak stomach, so I am impressed he dealt with the clean up operation! I suppose things like fingers and ears and feet bleed a lot more on humans too, so plenty of blood is to be expected!

Sorry to hear about your friends lab. Ouch about the cost of the stitches (as well as the bite) How's your friends lab doing now?

If we have to have Saffys pad stitched, I'm expecting around £200 because she'll have to be sedated. As well as she's doing to get over her fear of people, I'm not sure she'd let the vet stitch her whilst she was completely awake, even if they pump local anaesthetic into her pad.

I'm sure she'll be fine. After only a few hours, it was hard enough trying to keep her calm when I got in from work. Once she's settled over the next couple of days and started healing up, I'm sure it'll be even harder to keep her calm. I'm more worried about how I'm going to prevent her playing with Humphrey. They had a game of bitey face earlier, and shared a chew toy. I think the crate will once again come in handy to keep things very controlled play-wise! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts