Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday just under alfie's ear he had a patch of scabs and dry skin... i thought maybe billy had caught him while playing or he's got himself caught on the bramble bushes as he always has his head shoved in them getting some blackberries at the moment and as they had scabbed over, decided to leave it along to heal but keep an eye on it.

I was just stroking him and felt a hard little bump on his head so thought it was a thorn again because of the blackberry bushes but after a closer look it was a little scab which fell off along with the hair and he now has a little bald patch and very dry flaky skin.... on closer inspection he has a few more patches like this on his head :? they don't seem to bother him but what could it be? i thought it could be a hotspot but surely not in patches over his head and not with dry flakey skin?

I'll be taking him to the vets tomorrow i think but anyone have any ideas? I'm uploading some pics so i'll add those in a minute!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
No idea really Lacey, could he be having a reaction to the bramble bushes he loves so much?, or maybe even the fruits themselves if he`s eating them.

Does sound more like he could be catching himself on them though, from what you say he gets his head right in amongst them so that would account for them being all around his head.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Looking forward to the photos - I do know of a dog (not a lab) who is allergic to falling leaves and gets so itchy he just about takes his skin off from Sep/Oct unless it's dealt with - something to do with the enzymes (?) when things are decaying? Maybe Alfie is allergic to something. The vet will be able to prescribe soothing cream but it could be a bit of a goose chase to fine out what caused it :roll:

Best of luck - let us know the outcome; will be thinking of you and wee Alfie.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the pics...

This is a patch on his head, looks very much like dandruff now

this is a patch on his neck... its really scabby!

the same patch on his neck...

gross eh? :? :(

It doesn't seem to even itch him much :?

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Luna's got a good couple of scabs on her back legs from skidding down concrete road. He hasn't done anything similar whilst playing with other dogs has he? Only found Luna's by accident but think they linked back.

Hope the vet can shed some light on it and hope he isn't finding them uncomfortable.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
hmmm I would say hotspot Lacey thats exactly how tillys looked for a day or so before it got manky. Good luck at the vets xxxxxxxxxx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Alfie has the hard patches on the backs of his legs too from skidding after tennis balls :roll: These are more scabby and dandruffy though :?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_Vicky_ said:
hmmm I would say hotspot Lacey thats exactly how tillys looked for a day or so before it got manky. Good luck at the vets xxxxxxxxxx

ooooo really? would the hotspot be all over his head though? :?

Think i'll have to take him to the vets :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
What are hotspots then? I've heard them mentioned before but have no idea what they are/what causes them!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Yorkie developed scabs over his groin area and in his armpit areas a couple of weeks ago which looked quite similar. A trip to the vets found it was a yeast infection which he told us could be brought on from going in long grass/swimming in mucky areas- though in Yorkie's case I think it was down to a filthy puddle he insisted on rolling in!

He's almost at the end of a two week course of antibiotics now and all the scabs seem to have cleared up nicely.

Good luck at the vets xxx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ohh thats interesting... Alfie is always swimming but i haven't seen him in any particularly dirty water, mainly at the beach and river but i suppose it doesn't have to look dirty for it to cause him problems... he does run through lots of long grass though!!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Luna-tic said:
What are hotspots then? I've heard them mentioned before but have no idea what they are/what causes them!!
Its also known as Wet Excema Laura, don`t know what causes it but they seem to appear for no reason, vets presacribe Hibiscrub I believe and treatment is quite intrusive, there is something called Flowers of Sulphur though that does a much better job in shorter time.

I`m still sticking with the thought that its the brambles doing it Lacey, looking at those small scabs in a cluster like that, Blackberries have lots of little sharp spikes like roses do and if Alfie is sticking his head in the bush he`s quite likely getting prickled, being a dog he probaly doesn`t feel it and if he does, the blackberries are worth it :D

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Oh Diesel gets them.
I only noticed one day by accident. They were tiny. They appeared suddenly and went as soon as they came. They didn't bother him even though his hair did fall out too. :?
I didn't worry to much about them i just kept a watch over them. They didn't get any bigger and they don't make a regular appearance so i wasn't to fussed over them. :D

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Its also known as Wet Excema Laura, don`t know what causes it but they seem to appear for no reason, vets presacribe Hibiscrub I believe and treatment is quite intrusive, there is something called Flowers of Sulphur though that does a much better job in shorter time.
Thanks Mary! I learn something new everyday off this forum still!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So weird :? something very similar happened to Ruby a few weeks back.

I noticed a little hard lump below her ear hole on closer inspection I confimed it wasn't a tick and decided to keep an eye on it, before I could get her to the vets the 'lump' was replaced by a weepy scab (I think it may have burst?!?!) which I bathed in boiled, salted water for a couple of days and it quickly cleared up to leave a little bald patch 8O still not sure what it was :?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ohhh i just typed a long reply and then deleted it :x :lol:

It does sound very much like what Ruby and Diesel had but alfie has about 3 or 4 patches :?

I've tried to stop him eating blackberries but he loves them so much and theres sooo many blackberry bushes on every walk at the moment that i can't avoid them, he's picked his own every year as soon as they ripen so i don't think the fruit is the problem but the bramble bushes could be... i even pick the berries for him and use them to lead him away from the bushes :roll: he often gets an audience while he's picking his own aswell which he thinks is great :roll:

Well i'll have another look in the morning and if they look no better then he'll be booked into the vets - he'll love that :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts