Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My 11 month old lab is making walks extremely difficult.
He can go to do his business at his designated spot and hours later if we go for a walk still poo and pee anywhere.

He does not give any warning, he does not even stop waling and the only way I realise he is doing it sometimes is when I hear my husband saying'Kids, watch out for the muck!' and to my horror there is a long trail along a public path which I then have to walk back along to clean up.

I have watched him carefully and tried to stop him sniffing which I know can set these things off, but it does not seem to matter even if he has not been fed and already been to do his buisiness, as he seems to be able to muck as much as he wants (a never ending supply!)

My family are finding it unenjoyable and embarrasing to take him out now as even when we spot him and say no and yank the lead we cannot move him and he does not stop.

Please if you have any advice please help me...
I was wondering about 1 meal in the evening also instead of 2 meals a day as he is nearly a year old but I'm just clutching at straws at the moment,

Thanks
Julie

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Julie,sounds like you have a normal lab pup,dylan used to poodie about 7 times a day at least when he was smaller,he's now 16 months and does it about 2 or 3 times now depending on how much he has eaten, at 11 months your lad will be marking his territory which is a natural thing for him to do,i believe you can train them to go when you want them to, but that should have been started when you first got him but maybe someone else can correct me on that, it's not something i have done with my dogs,i'm afraid its just the way labs are and just make sure you have plenty of poo bags with you and try not to let it bother you so much after all the love of your lab will make up for a few embarrasing moments,he is too young in my mind to be on 1 meal a day,dylan is on 4 small meals a day,but only because he has problems with eating,what are you feeding him on ?maybe a change in diet would help, have you discussed this with your vet he/ she may be able to reccomend a different diet,anyway good luck and let us know how you are getting on.Lynne.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
We find that with Shadow, if we take him anywhere different to his normal walkies, he poops a lot more than normal (what is normal with a lab??!!!) On his usual walks, he poops once, but on a weekend 'special' he can poop up to 4 or 5 times. We just make sure we have loads of bags on us :D

Cheers,

Paul * Shadow.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i honestly dont know a owner of any dog that doesnt poop or wee when they are out ..lol..i just have loads of nappy sacks in me pocket ready for the next pick up..lol..
its all part n parcel of walking a dog i think

or if you can train them to do there business only in your garden i would love to know how..lol..

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

We taught my old german shepherd to go to the toilet before we left the house to go on our walks, she was great! When she was doing her toilet we used to say "go on" she soon learnt that when you said "go on" she had to go off and go to the toilet and she did :lol: ! I'm trying to teach it to Ben at the moment and he is starting to pick it up. I still take the good old nappy bags with me but we are'nt using so may when out. :D

Cristina

G

·
My Ollie once pooped 13 times once on one walk! New territory seemed to produce more poo, we often sat and discussed how on earth he managed to produce so much in such a short time but when Ollie was on a misson there was no stopping him. I always carried at least 20 poo bags with me for each walk even if it was just to the shop in our village.
It can be very frustrating when your out and about and need a bin for your full bags as soon as I had got rid of one he was off again producing more!

Michaela

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Lucky
I'm afraid dogs do not have our sensitivities, and when a dog has to go, he will do so :D , having said that, mine will only do it hiding behind a bush :roll: - probably because that's where his breeder started training him to do it.
Rather than the sniffing setting it off, it is a sign that he wants to go, and if he is pulled along, he will do it on the move, so to speak :)
The amount he goes, depends on the amount of 'waste', so a food that is readily digested will produce less. Followers of BARF say that their dogs go less, probably because more of the food is digested. So if it really is excessive amounts, then a change of food may help, but they will go when they need to.
Some people do feed one meal a day to their dogs, but not till they're at least a year old. Personally, I prefer to feed two throughout the dogs life. Labradors are a deep chested breed and as such, are prone to bloat. Two small meals as opposed to one large one (particularly on a dried complete) is safer, and has less risk.
HTH :)

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
i have three entirely diferrent labs one will dump to command coral, ellie will dump on the foot path but i always! make sure i carry enough bags! i feed my dogs twice a day and know exactly when they are going to go suppose thats down to the right sort of dogs attitude, temperament and training. :) :) bye for now brigheye, ellie, coral, and riva

1 - 8 of 8 Posts