Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casi is now 13 weeks old and seems to be coming on well with all the house based training and obedience skills, apart from play biting, however she love to eat her poop in the garden, I have to constantly watch her and hover around with a large plant pot to cover it.
Is there any tips for getting her to leave it alone? I have taught her "leave it" with treats and soft toys but the poop is far to delicious!

Cheers
Rob

Registered
Casi is now 13 weeks old and seems to be coming on well with all the house based training and obedience skills, apart from play biting, however she love to eat her poop in the garden, I have to constantly watch her and hover around with a large plant pot to cover it.
Is there any tips for getting her to leave it alone? I have taught her "leave it" with treats and soft toys but the poop is far to delicious!

Cheers
Rob
Hi, I have a pet theory about this that is not scientifically based and hopefully others will be along to offer better advice. What I've noticed is that alot of dogs ( including ours ) love cat food and cat poop! I think it's simply because it's very strong smelling. We feed Jas ( mostly) on a kibble that seems to produce a very bland smelling poo - Burns - it's made in Wales and we live in Wales so it makes sense, but other reasonable kibbles are available!!
Like I say, it may be nothing to do with why your pup is doing this, just a thought. But you are right wanting to nip it in the bud, because it becomes a habit. Best of luck with it 馃檪

Administrator
There is all sorts of stories about why this happens. One theory is that it's due to a shortage of a particular vitamin. But quite frankly I dont know a dog who is a either a dietitian or who would know a vitamin if it jumped out of the bowl and bit her! So I place no store by that.

One theory is that bitches often clean up after their pups as a form of protection, avoiding leaving a scent near the nest which a predator could home in on. The pup sees this so thinking it's missing out on something starts doing it.

On a similar vain a pup seeing us clearing up could be thinking that if we "like" it then it must be good.

It's interesting, some dogs eat any poo, some only eat their own, some only eat other dogs poo! I had two poo eaters, interestingly Amy never are any until Chloe arrived. (Clearing up after her puppy?) Chloe only ate Amy's and after the death of Amy has never eaten any again!

How do you stop it? There is something you can buy to put on the food. Does it work? Some say yes but some say no. Pineapple on the food is also advocated by people, but personally I've never seen it work. Sorry, I dont have a definitive answer.

Premium Member
Oh welcome to my world. I have one that is very specific about whose pooh she eats. The only solution we鈥檝e found is to clear up immediately a tasty pooh is delivered before she can get to it. It involves a protocol of not letting the dogs out together until poohs have been delivered and scooped. She prefers poop from my old girls and sometimes an oldie just has to go and I can鈥檛 get to it quick enough and she鈥檒l eat it as it鈥檚 coming out. It鈥檚 gross to us but I checked with my vet and there鈥檚 no danger to the dog. I just don鈥檛 let her lick me 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh welcome to my world. I have one that is very specific about whose pooh she eats. The only solution we鈥檝e found is to clear up immediately a tasty pooh is delivered before she can get to it. It involves a protocol of not letting the dogs out together until poohs have been delivered and scooped. She prefers poop from my old girls and sometimes an oldie just has to go and I can鈥檛 get to it quick enough and she鈥檒l eat it as it鈥檚 coming out. It鈥檚 gross to us but I checked with my vet and there鈥檚 no danger to the dog. I just don鈥檛 let her lick me 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
I swear some times she gets it before it hits the grass!! 馃槅

1 - 5 of 5 Posts