Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arthur has begun pooing in the most inconvenient of places, right now he's decided right outside the patio doors is his loo!

In the early days we were very religious with his toilet location, same place, wees and poos, lots of praise etc. But as he's grown in confidence and has more "free roam" of the garden he's all but abandoned his loo in favour of other places... when we actively take him out for a wee or poo we still take him to our allocated spot, but when not with him he just goes where he wants... how can we reign this back in?

Thanks

?

·
0 Posts
If you really want him to only ever go in one designated area, then you're going to have to accompany him on EVERY toilet trip for at least the first year and possibly even longer, until he is well past adolescence.

Making them go against their strong instinct to mark their territory all over the place is a tricky one for them to grasp, and it takes ages for them to develop the habit. Having taught Guide Dog pups to only go in certain areas and on command, I know just how easy it is to slip up, thinking they had "Got It", only to find they most definitely STILL desire to toilet elsewhere, even nearly 7 years down the line. 8O

·
Administrator
20,494 Posts
Spreading their "Favours" around can be an advantage because it can avoid a particular area of the lawn getting the grass permanently burnt off and a horrible slimy green algae growing instead!

Regards, John

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dileas has a favourite place to poop...... on the border at the side of the garden, right next to the plants. When she goes into the field at the back of the house to poop it's at the top of the field in the same corner. We tidy up every time (luckily there is a bin right next to 'her' spot), but each afternoon there are at least 2 other poops there, so I clean them up too. It's bl**dy annoying, but I don't want folk to say that she's to blame for the dog poop in the field. There is someone that 'walks' their 2 dogs to the field just to poop and for me to tidy up! I've not seen them, but a neighbour has. Otherwise I'd give them some poop bags!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts