Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stomach as just been turned yet again...Ive just looked out the window to see poor Logan trying peacefully to do a poo, with Charlie's head shoved up his backside trying to eat it as it comes out!!!!

I called Charlie over, only to find poo on his head and poor old Logan never got to finish off going!!!!

I could scream, its disgusting and dont know what to do to stop it.

Any suggestions????

Becky, Logan & Charlie

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Bump!

Oh dear - poor you. Feeding a dog pineapple is supposed to make the poo taste nasty. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
i have the same problem with pud and poo eater sydney! on walks i have to keep syndey on lead until pud has been - only for pud who has always been a one poo per walk kind of guy to start going twice 8O 8O It is awful and has earned Sydney the nickname Sydney poo head off my goddaughter!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ciara does the same poor Schafer is doing the deed and she has her head there waiting for it to come out. If she misses she'll leave it and go back for it if we dont get to poop scoop in time ie they are in garden while we are out.

We tried the pineapple but doesn't work...and she has teh worst breath ever when she's done it :eek:

Paula

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the same problem........ and have found pineapple doesn't work on Wispa, hope you have better success. :wink:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi all, Pumps went through a phase of doing this and I read somewhere that conditioning tablets may help so gave them a go and they seemed to have worked! Not sure if it's a fluke or not but she still has them and loves them. I give them to Pudding too and both their coats are lovely and shiny. Good luck, it used to drive me bonkers :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its good to know im not the only one with a dirty dog!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys, will try the pineapple chunks and see how it goes. But im convinced my boys will eat anything!!!

G

·
Copraphagia (poo eating) is really common, especially in Labradors (greedy buggers will eat anything :wink: ).

In the past I've had success with adding Cod Liver Oil to the "Eater's" diet (just a tiny amount), or adding Seaweed Powder to all dogs food. Some people have success with Pineapple or grated Courgette as this apparently makes the poo taste disgusting. Other people have found giving their dogs charcoal biscuits helps.

You just have to keep trying.

Most seem to grow out of the habit but some get so much pleasure from it it becomes a life long addiction. All you can do at home is only let them in the garden one at a time and clear up as they are going, so avoiding the problem. Also try not to make a big deal about clearing it up while they are watching, as some dogs seem to think you want the poo for yourself, so it raises it's value in their heads.

Are yours litter brothers, as I do think there is a genetic preposition to Copraphagia, so if one is doing it, chances are the other may start to too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah they are brothers from the same litter. Ive never noticed Logan do it as yet, he just likes Horses poo!!!

G

·
Ruby will eat any poo - her own, the cats, cow pats, poo in the street. It's really frustrating. We just have to keep an eye on her on walks, and say 'leave' and give her a treat when she does. It's more difficult when she's out in the garden, because by the time I've realised she's pooed, she's usually eaten half of it! I put pineapple juice in her food, which worked initially as far as her poo was concerned, but seems to have lost the effect now.

I might try some of the other suggestions above. I'll let you know if they work!

·
Registered
33 Posts
LOL....Oh dear I soooo know what thats like

I have tried everything but I now buy seaweed from Lamp post pet supplies on line. It has stopped the little darlings carrying out this gross pass time.

May be worth a try

Tracey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts