Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have this bloody flu virus. It started xmas eve, and by xmas morning I was a complete state. It's now nearly one week on and I am no better :cry: I am terrible for having panic attacks and am really worrying about how I'm feeling. My whole family has had the bug but they all got better within three days. Why am I still not better?

I am still shivering one minute and having hot flushes the next. I have hardly eaten a thing since xmas day as I just can't stomach anything. My chest feels sooo tight and it's hard to take deep breaths. I have a real chesty cough and a bunged-up nose. My head feels like it's going to explode and my ears are constantly ringing. To top it off, I have no balance and as soon as I stand up I go all dizzy.

Roo is being a sod. He is pinching anything he can find to get me to chase him and is just staring at me and whining as he hasn't been out yet (he'll have to wait until OH gets home from work :( ) He has tipped his water bowl over twice and has bum-tucked round the house and jumped on the bed - spilling my glass of water all over the bed covers.

The worse thing of all is that I am presenting a research paper at a conference on Monday in London, followed by a research-council ball. I must go to it :(

Please tell me that this is all normal as I am getting all sorts of stupid thoughts in my head!

S

·
0 Posts
I think you need to see a doctor as you may have a secondary infection. Hope you feel better soon xxx

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
awwww you poor thing, sounds horrible.

I know someone who had the flu recently too and they said they could hardly lift their head off the pillow :? and they felt awful for over 6 days.

I hope you start to feel better really soon.

Tracey
x

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Completely normal. I only had it for 4 - 5 days and I was climbing the walls, being totally unreasonable to OH, shouting at the poor dogs and sobbing to STUPID programmes on the TV like some damn fool emotional wreak!

You are quite right to be sick of it and that in itself be making you feel like pants.

You will be fine for Monday. Keep them fluids in you and every two hours paracetamol and then two hours later Ibuprofen 24 hours a day and keep your feet up as much as possible and avoid change of temperature too often. So stay inside warm in the evenings.

Hope you feel better soon!
Nurse Di

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a doctors appointment at 5.20pm so am hoping they can give me something :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry that you are feeling so poorly

I'm just getting over it today and I have to say that it has given me moments of panic when I thought I wasn't going to get better - it must be part of the course.

I found the the paracetamol did wonders because they reduce the temperature .
Good luck at the doctors and let us know how you get on.

xx

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am on day 5 of it, went to bed last night feeling i had turned a corner but woke up this morning feeing worse than ever. Rang nhs direct and they told me to get sraight into the dr's! Thought that was a bit OTT so rang and spoke to dr who said no point in coming in, except as i am prone to lung problems give them a call if i get any pleuritic pain. Apparently its a nasty strain thats going round, can last up to 16 days, doctors cant do anything unless you have a secondary infection eg. ear, chest infection.
Hope you start to improve soon :)

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I hope you feel better soon x

I started to feel rubbish yesterday, freezing cold . no energy and dizzy. After a 9 day break from work with the Christmas holidays, I have to go back tomorrow and I feel so wiped out I just want to curl up somewhere warm.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Poor thing, I have had this bloomin' virus since 9 December, it started off not too bad then I woke up on the Sunday and was dizzy, hot and cold, stuffed up and coughing. After that I started to improve and felt brilliant Christmas day - Boxing day I was like death warmed up and couldn't catch my breath all day. I shouldn't have gone out really, but I did but was glad to get home again. After that I rapidly improved.

I have now got some vit C and zinc and also some Potter's catarrh pastelles which really blast your sinuses and make you feel better (also helps to clear your ears which is what is probably making you feel dizzy).

Hope you are better soon, forget about Monday and concentrate on being better!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
My friend started this two days before xmas and is only just feeling better now, this strain thats doing the rounds is particularly virulent and seems to put normally healthy people flat on their backs.

That said as already said you may have a secondary infection and the doctor may be able to give you something to help with that.

Hope your feeling better very soon, in the meantime as Di said, stay in as much as possible, keep warm and take plenty of fluids on board.

As for Roo I`m sure if you lay on the sofa he`ll come and lie with you, better than any electric blanket :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your well-wishes and reassurance. Not so panicky now! I'm just so fed up of it all :( There are so many people that have it!

I'm such a worrier :oops: Hey ho, onwards and upwards!

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Oh dear I am really sorry for you - it sounds dreadful!!

Hope you feel better soon and are fine for Monday - also hopes that your Doctor gives you something for it!!!

Look after yourself!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Roo, just to add, I get panic attacks too and since I've had this virus they've been worse.

In fact I woke up last night at 2.30am in the middle of a panic attack and spent the next hour dozing off, having a panic attack, dozing off, having a panic attack, etc.

So you are not alone! And that first Sunday when I felt really ill I was convinced I was dying!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad that you are not feeling so panicky I have also been waking up with the panic attacks in the night and judging by all the other posts it really does seem that they are part of the course of this horrid virus.
Hope you begin to improve after the visit to the doc Roo

I think we should all be able to start our Christmas hols again next week :)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Thankfully I have missed this virus, just wanted to say I hope you feel better and hope doctors gives you some AB's to make you better

{{{{{{{{{{{feel better vibes}}}}}}}}}}} coming your way :)

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm afraid i'm one of the fortunate ones that seems to have escaped this round of nastiness (although, I got the norovirus a year ago when that was whizzing about and suffered some horrific side effects 8O ). My OH, on the other hand, got whatever this is, then got better, and now has something else! :roll: And he's a very sturdy scotsman that rarely gets ill, and i'm surprised I haven't caught anything from him!

I hope the doctors have helped at least calm your mind, and that you start feeling better real soon! I take eccinaecia (sp?) when i'm ill as I find it helps speed the recovery stage up (and sometimes, even stops the bug in its tracks). Other than that, lots of warm honey and lemon drinks (freshly made by your OH of course) warm clothes, and nice furry warm blanket to curl up with on the sofa, a nice, snoozy lab and plenty of tissues!

Sending you lots of ~~~~get better real soon~~~~ vibes! xxxx ((hugs))

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm on day 5 as well and I'm taking paracetamol during the day and night nurse at night as it knocks me out cold and it's surprising how much better you feel after a good nights sleep and I feel more able to cope with the rest of the symptoms during the day and as I am here on my own poor Ozzie hadn't had a walk since boxing day morning until today but he's been an absolute star and hasn't complained once bless him.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
How did you get on at the Docs? From the symptoms you've described, it sounds like you might have a sinus infection on top of the 'bug' - hope the doc can sort you out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts