Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baymax is almost 11 months and despite having been an high energy investment we're all really so fond of this young savage :)

Now the same breeder that has sold us Baymax, may he rot in hell ;), sent us a message saying "Hey I have this last puppy from a litter, are you interested?"

She's 3 months now. Here follow are some photos.

How would a new puppy impact Baymax? What problems would I have when she'll mature and be in heat (if this is the right term) to keep them from getting her pregnant each time? Any other considerations I'd need to take into account?

Common sense says I shouldn't do this, but how can you resist such a cutie? Damn!!!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Gesture Sky

Dog Black Dog breed Carnivore Liver

Dog Vertebrate Black Beard Mammal

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
I personally would not keep both dogs and bitches because of the season problem. Bitches can be very individual on when and how often they come into season so a person needs to be observant. The earliest I've know was 4 months, (A friend's GSD) and the latest 2 years. Personally Chloe was my earliest at 5.5 months and Mandy my latest at 14 months. Unexpected pregnancies can and do happen.

Many people put their dog in kennels for the duration of the season but actually noticing the start of a season can be problematic with so many bitches keeping themselves clean. Then comes the problem of finding a kennel at short notice, particularly during the summer holiday period when most kennels are fully booked.

But saying all that, many people do make it work. But it's not for me.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
I do have an entire dog and an entire bitch with 8 months difference in age. It’s not a big deal, my dog gives me very very good indications when my bitch is likely to come into season. At this point we check for bleeding. Once bleeding starts they are apart but sleep in the same room at night (n their own crates) from day 1 to about day 10. Then my boy goes to kennels for about 14 days. When he comes home they’re kept apart for a further week but sleep in the same room in crates.

Mine are from the same breeder but aren’t related but I still don’t want puppies as neither are health tested. If they did accidentally get together, there are options to ensure there aren’t puppies. I wouldn’t want to rely on them as they can cause issues down the line.

Reactions: rjalex

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Coming at this from another angle, if she's 3 months and shares the same mother, and your boy is 9 months, you've only got a 6 month age gap. Now if any health problems the breeder can't test for come up, you are doubling your chances with having two pups from very similar breeding of having two lots of issues and similar ages, some of the health problems are life limiting and you could have them for a very long time to come. That's one reason many good breeders won't allow two pups from the same litter to go to the same home, it's a nice idea in theory, and many people do make it work, but it also has a lot of associated risks so it is a gamble many aren't willing to take.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good point @Tarimoor , very good point. Thanks
PS but yes meanwhile we came to our senses and would have not proceeded (btw the ******* :) even tempted us with a low price, certain people don't stop at anything :))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts