Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We are new to labrador forum. We have joined because we need some advice. Our labrador is 4 years old. Freddie had a seizure in January this year followed by another one in March. We took Freddie to the vets and after a blood test came back clear we were told that he had epilesy and all we could do was monitor it. We went to kennelgate for some advice on his diet and put him on hypoallergenic food. From March till November everything was going really well. Freddie was his usual self bouncing around like a kangaroo.

On November 1st Freddie had another seizure, we did not return to vets because we felt we would just be told to monitor him. We went to kennelgate again and was told to not let him have any foods with grain or dairy in. On December 14th he had another seizure. Between November and now though he has also been having at least one day a week where he is sick and lethargic.

We are really worried it may be something serious could someone please give us some advice.

Thanks
Rebecca, Rob and Freddie

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Hi Rebecca, just to let you know I've seen your post. I'm just going out but will be back later and will post then.

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Hello again Rebecca,

First off, I’m not a vet. Just someone who has been around rather a long time and, having owned an Epileptic dog has made a bit of a study of it.

The thing about Epilepsy is that there is no test which can diagnose it, so diagnosis is really all about eliminating other similar conditions. So at best the diagnosis is never 100%, just that on the balance of possibility Epilepsy is the most likely.

Normally Epilepsy first makes it’s self felt at between 9 months and 3 years old, although this is only a rough guide. So Freddie was probably just about in that range at the time of his first episode. You say that after the first episode he returned to his old self, which is perfectly normal. Beth might have been a bit quiet the next day, "Got a bit of an 'ed ache dad!" but that was all. I have to say, I never found diet made the slightest difference, although I always fed foods low on additives and colorants, which I believe are the most damaging.

Medication is not usual these days unless the fits are closer together than every month to 6 weeks. Reason being that the medication it’s self can have serious side effects, and the longer a dog is on the medication the greater the chance of damage. My Beth developed Epilepsy at 9 months old and was never medicated until her death (from a totally unconnected condition) at days short of 14 years old.

But now you say things have changed. You say, “he has also been having at least one day a week where he is sick and lethargic.“ This is not normal with Epilepsy. I did find with my Beth, that when she got really familiar with it that she would be a little clingy for a few days before, but that was all. Just enough for me to realise that she was getting near.

Am I right in reading that the fits are getting closer together? And this combined with the sickness and lethargy does worry me, and I’d suggest a trip to your vets is in order, at least after the Christmas holiday rush is over. (I’m guessing that as this has been going on for a while that another few days is not going to make much difference.) I may be worrying you unnecessarily, but better that than the other way.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your in-depth answer. There was only about 6 weeks between his last 2 fits. Prior to that he had gone for 7 months and if I am honest we thought he was going to be ok, but since the beginning of November all we seem to have been dealing with is a poorly Labrador.

We appreciate your honesty, we were already worried anyway and were considering taking Freddie to the vets. We weren't sure if we were over reacting though.

Rebecca, Rob and Freddie

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I can add nothing to John's advice on epilepsy but do mention the changes of food as the latest could be not agreeing with him and if nothing else is found by vets switching him back to what he was fine on could be worth a try.

Hope the vets can help x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts