Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I remember reading previously about some great tips for dealing with excessive play-biting. It's a vital part of a puppy's early months and I know some members had some great tips about 'bite inhibition' etc and for coping with this behaviour.

Thought it would be great if we could all share our tips on dealing with this common problem.

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Nic

From the very start when I was nipped I would squeel ' ouch ' stand up, turn away from Tilly and ignore for a few seconds.

This would be how her mother and siblings would of reacted if she had been heavy handed within the litter, and she would of been ' shamed ' for her behaviour.

This method, apart from succesfully dealing with the nipping prob, began enforcement of the pack order within our home.

From a practical point of view I always gave her treats wrapped in fisted hand so she would have the choice of nipping me ( see above ) or sitting and waiting to be given.

Very productive and problem cured quickly....unless I was just lucky 8O

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rhoni and Jenny

Many thanks for your responses. I too have gone with the same approach as you Rhoni and Jenny, I hoped you would have a useful link or two - great stuff!

All the best,
Nic
X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts