Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pippa was amazing. I was so so so impressed with her, she walked nicely, did direction/steadiness, at one point another dog stole her dummy, but she didn't care at all and totally ignored the other dog. We went on to do a retrieve from a wire pen, I had to go and get her as a flatcoat decided it would growl at her and I didn't want a situation developing. We went up to the stubble area and we did a walk up shoot simulation (Retrievers walking in line with 'guns' (trainers) who threw the dummies out, Spaniels/HPR's in front hunting. We had to stop to the whistle, dummy was thrown and we were 4th in the que. I sent Pippa out for her pick, she picked up straight away, ran back to me and presented - two trainers congratulated me saying it was great! I wish I had gone earlier to be honest, definitely worth £15 for two hours (although it overran), she got so much more out of it than 1hr in a hall for £4 and I enjoyed it more too.

I'm really proud of her, and I'm looking forward to two weeks time for hte next class.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thats wonderful... but wow, that was your FIRST class? Directional, whistle and walk ups?

Di

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well done to you and Pippa. I thought Jack was doing well (and we have been doing this gundoggery thing for ages) but that is really impressive stuff for your first lesson. How old is Pippa?

Karen and Jack

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diana said:
Thats wonderful... but wow, that was your FIRST class? Directional, whistle and walk ups?

Di
I did let the trainer know what she could do when I enquired. She said this class would be most suitable for us... I was surprised how well Pippa did not to get distracted by the other dogs - I've always trained on my own without any other dogs or people you see.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karenoula said:
Well done to you and Pippa. I thought Jack was doing well (and we have been doing this gundoggery thing for ages) but that is really impressive stuff for your first lesson. How old is Pippa?

Karen and Jack
It was my first proper lesson in a class but I've had two 1-1 sessions with my old Labrador's breeder when she was younger (about a year ago now). Before I got Molly I did gundog training most days just in my local field. I didn't do anything for about 6 months in the way of gundog, I started up again a few weeks ago. She's 21 months...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hats off to you both - you must have worked really hard with her. I'll have to really knuckle down with Jack now!

Karen and Glen

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Did you go to Smiles gundog training? Sarah is superb.... :) Just ask because of your location she would be nearby..... Di

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Diana said:
Did you go to Smiles gundog training? Sarah is superb.... :) Just ask because of your location she would be nearby..... Di
No, Scovellsway. I literally live 1 mile away from them...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went again today, unfortantly it's the last one until the new year.

Today went pretty well, considering a lot of it was pretty new to her.

First exercise was heel work - Pippa was okay, she didn't pull, but she wanted to sniff the floor. We did sit whislte at heel, perfect. We did a stay, unfortunatly another 2 dogs ran past Pippa playing as they broke, and Pippa decided to join in... who can blame her really!

Second exercise was a simple seen retrieve on different surfaces. Pippa's first was on stubble. She found it difficult to find it, and she went way out and behind so I recalled and we had another go, 2nd go she still didn't find it so the trainer threw out another for her. She's only ever retrieved on stubble once before - obviously harder than grass. Also, I don't think she marked it properly as she's used to me throwing the dummies rather than someone else as I always train on my own. Second retrieve was on long grass. I sent Pippa and she went way out. So I recalled her and I sent her again, she picked it straight away.

Third exercise was the beginings of a blind retrieve. The trainer threw it only a few meters on long grass, but Pip still went out too far and wide. The trainer then explained, that I should have pipped the stop whistle as soon as she went past the dummy. We repeated the exercise, I sent her, she went too far, I pipped, she span around and picked it straight away. He put a blind in the same place (first attempt of blind) whilst she was returning to me. I sent her out and she picked it straight away - chuffed with that. Then we did it on stubble, much the same as the previous stubble experience, too wide, too far although she picked it eventually. A blind was placed, again, she found it, but after a bit of searching.

At the end the trainer said ''She screams quality at her - she's got that bit extra, she's going to make a fabulous dog, she's got loads of potential'' she went on to ask about her breeding, I mentioned her Sire - Dipplelodge Raven Of Riversway and she sort of nodded and said 'yeah' so she obviously thinks he's good. I was so pleased with her comments

Our homework is:
- Get a helper to throw dummies
- Begin hunt whistle
- Train over different surfaces

1 - 17 of 17 Posts