Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is obsessed with birds :roll:

Where we walk there are sometimes ducks in the stream and she is constantly up and down the bank looking for them, if she spots them she is off and there is no getting her back. We went to the lakes and she swam out into the middle of the lake after some birds, we didnt think that we were going to get her back.

Just recently it is the farmers fields, this morning she flushed a group of birds and that was it she was searching up and down the field, I just carried on walking and all you could see was her bobbing up and down.

She is also constantly hunting, and is in and out of the bushes, into the undergrowth, up and down the stream. All you can see is her bum in the air and her tail going like mad.

She's lovely apart from this obsession :roll:

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
It sounds like Pippa needs to 'work'. Would you consider taking her to gun dog classes? That way you will learn to control her obsession and she may be a very good gun dog.

You don't have to go on shoots or compete if it's not your cup of tea, but you might find a purpose for her natural instincts that will make you both happy.

Becs and The Gang

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I was going to say similar to Becs. It sounds like she has a very strong instinct for bird searching so maybe if you train her to find them as part of a 'job' it'll become more of a controllable behaviour with her becoming able to relax more when she isn't being told to find them.

Luna loves walking around with things in her mouth so I'd find anything and everything out in the garden where she'd taken it. I decided to take advantage and get her to carry peg baskets, clothes, vacuum accessories etc. around the house for me!!! It means that I end up with some VERY strange things on the table/sofa next to me while I'm watching tv and she decides I should be active :roll: but what was once an annoying Luna characteristic is now more useful!! and at least I don't find washing, cloths, pegs, towels, pens etc in the garden any more, just piled up around me!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pippa is a stray from the local pound so no history. She had obviously been used for breeding but we have always wondered if she had been worked as well but she is obsessive and I would have thought that she would be more controlled but then again it could be down to my inexperience.

She is ball obsessed and we always have a ball out with us - but the past couple of weeks she has lost a few down to her hunting. She chews on the ball when she is carrying it, which has also made me think that we were wrong and she has not been worked. But there are other things about her that makes you think that she was not a 'pet' dog.

She definately has a stong hunt instinct when out.

There are a couple of people I know locally who work their dogs so I might ask them to have a look at her.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts