Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been researching Fennels family tree she has quite a few 'pinessprings' dogs in there. Having looked through the posts I haven't actually spotted any others, so I wondered if anyone knew anything about them? Or maybe have dogs with them in their family tree :)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Funnily enough I have just been adding / looking at some Pinessprings dogs in my database as they have cropped up for the first time

All I can tell you is that they appear to be based in Cheltenham and they also breed Labrador English Springers & Cocker Spaniel which would make me assume (possibly incorrectly) that they are geared towards working gundogs? Sorry I can't be any more helpful - hopefully JohnW or Diana will be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this info Sue- I managed to find a breeders page on the internet but it didn't have many details about the dogs on which was a shame. They seem to have choccies though which was interesting as I thought her family would be predominantly black.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there

We bought Darcy from Pinessprings a couple of months ago at 8 weeks (he's 16 weeks now). We are only down the road from them, they are on the edge of Bishop's Cleeve, Chelt.

Darcy's a choccie lab and is beautiful and very healthy. The mum Meg was black as was the dad and they gave us a full family tree which shows the line. The litter had four blacks and four chocs in and they were all gorgeous of course. I found the breeders to be very friendly and experienced. My only concern was that they didn't interview us when we put a deposit down but not all breeders do that and I guess it's more because they breed working dogs. Darcy was born and brought up in an outhouse rather than in the home but it did not affect him settling in with us as all. Went through the night from day one (I know smug me but I still expect each night to be 'the' one where he doesn't!) and very quickly house trained, although he's a boisterous little begger sometimes. A lovely addition to the family!

They also microchipped him for me when I picked him up which was handy. All KC certificates too.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Kelly,

Nice to hear there is potential family on the board, they could be related! The labs which are in Fennels pedigree are

Pinnessprings a little extra for Penski (Grand sire)
and his parents are:
Pinessprings Ross
Kenzed Darkstar Light of Pinessprings

There is also a Hollybush girl of Pinnessprings

Lovely to hear that Darcy has settled in well, lucky you having a puppy that goes through the night!! He sounds great :)
Also thanks for the info on the breeders, nice to hear a bit about them and that they breed working dogs.

Vicky

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pinesprings kennel is local to me. They use the same vets. They breed a variety of breeds, they dont show.

My only real concern about them is that they breed a LOT of litters out of unproven (unshown) dogs. As far as i know the stud dogs they use are neither shown, nor worked, they are just used for breeding, which would put me off. But if people are buying them purely as pets then theres not a problem with that at all, im sure the puppies are lovely :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - have a 6 month old chocolate lab and his mother's paternal grandparents are Pinessprings Ross and Kenzed Darkstar Light Of Pinessprings. Also, his Great Great maternal Grandmother (I think!) is Bringwood Bliss of Pinessprings.

Sorry that wasn't very technically explained, but am new to all this and have just stumbled across this forum by accident!

It's great to 'meet' some distant cousins!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry for the late reply to this post, just catching up after my holiday.

Dibley is a Pinesprings lab.

His parents had all their health checks and Dibley is a great dog but I would never go back. Dibley is everything thing that people think chocolate labs are, mad, mad, mad. I don't think they breed for character and Dibley has been really, really hard work.

At the end of the day though we love him lots but having had Willow now really shows what good breeding can do. On holiday most people thought that Willow was older than Dibley because she is so calm by comparison.

We learnt the hard way that breeding isn't just about health checks!

Still wouldn't swap him for the world though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We brought our beautiful girl Rolo from pine springs. Pine springs nutmeg dream. Her mum was meg.
Rolo was laid to rest 2days ago. Aged 13& half. She was hard work as a pup! A chocci trait!
but was the most beautiful loving gentle dog till the day she died.💔🐾

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
This is an old, old thread, but from a quick peek at Pinesprings, they are a mix of lines, with some well known field trialling kennels in there. Coat colour has no bearing on behaviour, it's the temperament of the dogs in the pedigree that will determine that. Unfortunately, a lot of breeders do breed chocolate/liver for the popularity, so don't give any thought to temperament, which is where you get the self perpetuating myth that it's just the coat colour that is responsible for 'crazy' Labradors. I work my liver girl, and her mum and aunt are/were two of the best trained dogs I've owned, both registered chocolate. I now have a pup from my liver girl, and she is the hardest I've had, her Grandma came close, but she is incredibly pushy, incredibly intelligent, and I'm sure once she matures she will be a great dog to work, she's my first black Labrador.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts