Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New arrivals Chez Moo, Pip and Petroc - dogs really don't know what to make of them. They are ploughing up what will be my veg patch brilliantly:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm so jealous! [Mental note: When I grow up, I'll have enough land/money/time to have pigs (this is in my dream house along with a flock of geese and a rich husband to pay for it all! :lol: ) ] What breed are they? They're very sweet!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're Welsh and should get to quite a size and lose the cuteness fairly rapidly. We probably won't be getting any more as I really only wanted them to grub out and turn over what will be the veg plot (cheaper than a rotivator!); come March/April time they'll be off to the butchers and then the chest freezer, but in the meantime will have a very happy free range life.

We had geese last year (Embdens) from goslings, but they got too much for the kids to play safely in the field, and too tempting for the table.

We've got a couple of sheep too, who are likely to be a more semi-permanent fixture as pasture improvers - "Hinge and Bracket" (or Dr Evadne and Dame Hilda to close friends!):

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Those pigs will provide some lovely pork no doubt, loving Hinge and Bracket, used to love the human ones too :lol:

G

·
I love pigs! We went to a farm park while we were on holiday (for the kids ahem) and they had miniature pigs, and I got to cuddle a piglet on my lap. It fell asleep, so the girls tease me now about "boaring" it. :groan:

Lovely animals yours look there. :D

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
They are very cute. I am sure they will make good veggie plot ploughs, and I guess they will add plenty of their own organic fertiliser too. :wink: :lol:

Do you have donkeys etc. for mowing the lawn? There were two on the smallholding where we were on holiday, and they certainly kept the grass cropped in the areas they were free to wander. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
adore the pigs, i belive there suppose to be quiet inteligent arnt they,

are you going to keep them as pets or for food , i know i would struggle getting them slaughtered, so i would be useless keeping a farm

have the dogs managed to get near them yet.

all the best

gary

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well 10 weeks have flown by and the piggies have got to a reasonable size - the veg plot has been turned over and composted beautifully: not a weed or any green remains. Much to the horse's disgust, pig 1 and 2 have been brought in to get the worst of the mud off, before the final journey tomorrow. Fingers crossed the chest freezer will be big enough!

Its been great fun bringing them on, teaching them to play football and keeping one step ahead of their escape attempts (they are very clever!). Less fun trying to make sense of the DEFRA paperwork.

Feeling slightly heavy hearted, as they are such soppy, affectionate and intelligent creatures, but they've done their job and I'm assured it will all be done very humanely.

Au reservoir piggies!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts